Sram vs Shimano

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm not sure if this proves anything, but it's a interesting comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urq7qOVrYZs

This proves that the upper pulley on a Shimano Der is often times too far away from the cass to provide good shifting.

Although a rarely use a geared bike in the woods, I highly recommend SRAM.

I use Dura ace 10 on the Road but SRAM on the Cross bike.

SRAM is really giving Shimano a run for the money.

FSA will have a complete group within the next year too.

All this competition is great for cyclists.

j

S

Stan LeCupp

I prefer Sram myself. I have had some durability issues with their rear derailleurs. My third X9 in one year is on it's way. This is a 2007 which supposed to be beefed up. Hopefully this one will last a lot longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DANSPANK

I've got Sram X.0 on the back of my Stumpjumper and really love it. I've not had one missed shift since I got the bike. I prefer the thumb shifters overall too. Breaking and shifting is pretty handy after a long descent into an uphill switchback.

Some people don't like the excessive clunk of Sram but I think it's a solid sounding noise letting you know that you're in gear.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I prefer Sram myself. I have had some durability issues with there rear derailleurs. My third X9 in one year is on it's way. This is a 2007 which supposed to be beefed up. Hopefully this one will last a lot longer.

I'm confused here. You prefer SRAM but have had 3 problems in 1 year? Am I reading that right?

The video is a bit misleading IMO. Not taking sides here because I don't have the experience to make a judgement either way. But the movement you see if at high speeds which isn't exactly your ideal testing conditions for shifting. When you're going that fast you tend to just throw the chain down to the lowest cassette cog and go balls to the wall.

S

Stan LeCupp

I'm confused here. You prefer SRAM but have had 3 problems in 1 year? Am I reading that right?

The video is a bit misleading IMO. Not taking sides here because I don't have the experience to make a judgement either way. But the movement you see if at high speeds which isn't exactly your ideal testing conditions for shifting. When you're going that fast you tend to just throw the chain down to the lowest cassette cog and go balls to the wall.

Yes I prefer Sram Shifters and the crisper shifting. The shifting is that much better I'm going to stick with it. The issues I had were all related to a stick getting stuck in the drivetrain. I don't think the old X9's are quite as tough as a XT .The 2007 X9's are built more like the pricier XO's which have a better rep or so I'm told.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes I prefer Sram Shifters and the crisper shifting. The shifting is that much better I'm going to stick with it. The issues I had were all related to a stick getting stuck in the drivetrain. I don't think the old X9's are quite as tough as a XT .The 2007 X9's are built more like the pricier XO's which have a better rep or so I'm told.

Ok thanks for clarifying. When this one shits the bed perhaps I'll give SRAM a shot.

anrothar

entirely thrilled

that didn't look like really high speeds to me. but i'm in no position to be comparing derailluers.

ArmyOfNone

that didn't look like really high speeds to me. but i'm in no position to be comparing derailluers.

He did admit sunday that in another life he rode a bike with gears. I was shocked.

I actually just watched the video. I had no such clue as to what really was goin on back there. It was cool just to see. However, I love my XT components :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there are way too many variables to make a real comparison. who's to say sram didn't put that out or someone that love sram? hell, they could've swapped out some spring or something. sorry, it's my overly trained advertising mind at work. i know too much. i'm a danger to all. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't doubt it's real. I'm sure Shimano designed it that way though. Their stuff is not so shoddy that the design is supposed to be rigid. There has to be an engineering decision behind it.

How that translates to the field - as JDog suggests - may not be the ideal performance however. This is probably why a lot of people jump to sram. But then does it break more? Better shifting but less reliable?

JDog - your thoughts? Also, what are the advantages of the highly movable arm in the Shimano design?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
All der's break more than they should.

I rarely ride a Der in the woods but if I do it would be a SRAM.

I have both SRAM and Dura Ace on road bikes but I prefer Shimano.

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
i have the sram x9 rear der/shifter combo, and i really like the 1:1 ratio of the shifting. for me, there is something satisfying about having that positive shift from gear to gear. the rapid rise on my old bike felt too vague between gears.

jd: is there a difference in the way the spring in the der is loaded between the two?

Top Bottom