SRAM vs Shimano Brakes

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
This is going to be the best thread! (outside of OOS)

I definitely see the pros and cons of both brakes.... personally I have Guides on my Hightower and XT on my Talon.
Only thing is.... its an adjustment going from one to the other. I have been exclusively riding the Guides and recently rode my Talon with the XT and I was goofing up pretty badly by locking up. After about an hr or so, I was able to adjust and got used to them and things were fine for the rest of the ride. Now if I go back to the Guides, I am likely to not brake enuff and crash into a tree or go off trail.

So... I am thinking of either going all Shimano or all SRAM and I am leaning towards the Shimano because of cost.
Your thoughts on which way to go?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
What kind of performance are you looking for from your brake set?
If I knew... the decision would be easier. I see the pros and cons of both and I can't make up my mind on which I prefer. All I know, is that I would want both bikes to have same feel. As such and due to cost, leaning towards shimano.

Full stop situations, shimano will be better.
Tight corners, SRAM rules.

I think with enuff adjustment time, both will work well. At the end of the day, which ever way I go, I feel like grass is going to be greener on the other side and will be a no win for me. Lol

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I knew... the decision would be easier. I see the pros and cons of both and I can't make up my mind on which I prefer. All I know, is that I would want both bikes to have same feel. As such and due to cost, leaning towards shimano.

Full stop situations, shimano will be better.
Tight corners, SRAM rules.

I think with enuff adjustment time, both will work well. At the end of the day, which ever way I go, I feel like grass is going to be greener on the other side and will be a no win for me. Lol

can you swap them between the bikes and try them on the opposite bike to see if you dislike on when switched?

i personally like the way guides feel, and the lever pull is good (i do like the RS better than the R, but i havnt gotten to upgrading all my levers, and may decide to go RSC, wtf am i doing?) but you need to decide what you like.

as for your initial bite preference, the pad material can make a huge difference in that regard, you could try a different pad compound in the guides to up that intial bite.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I forget which line is internal routed on the Hightower... brake or shifter. Also... Hightower being a longer bike... the rear line might not be long enuff.

But I were to guess, I would prefer the XT only because that what I rode last.

Yeah yeah yeah... I know.... 1st world problems.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Recently went through this...Both the wife and I changed over our N+1's to XT. Cost wasn't really the factor, just prefer the one finger control. Neither of us have issues locking them up.

mwlikesbikes

There is only one right answer...
https://www.hopetech.com/products/
Set em’ and forget em’
F851AE16-D6D1-49FB-ACB4-1E9D2F696C92.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Recently went through this...Both the wife and I changed over our N+1's to XT. Cost wasn't really the factor, just prefer the one finger control. Neither of us have issues locking them up.
You were able to stop with one finger with Guides?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I should have mentioned.... I am poor. lol
I even thought about the M8020 but then I quickly came to the realization of my limited financial factor.
If I go XT... it will be M8000.

The XT's are great brakes, best bang for the buck. If you have trouble modulating the power, size up on the rotors. If you're running 160's, go to up to 180's. I run 200 on the front, 180 on the back. One-finger braking and perfect modulation.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The XT's are great brakes, best bang for the buck. If you have trouble modulating the power, size up on the rotors. If you're running 160's, go to up to 180's. I run 200 on the front, 180 on the back. One-finger braking and perfect modulation.
Question... wouldn't the bigger rotors provide better stopping power but less on modulation?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Forgot to mention, the 4-piston XT's are amazing, and are not prohibitively expensive. I'd recommend them on the front, with the bigger rotor, stick with the 2-pistons out back.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Question... wouldn't the bigger rotors provide better stopping power but less on modulation?

You'd think, but that's not how things turned out on my bike, a happy accident. The 4-piston XT's were a game changer, and for some reason going to 180 out back offered better modulation. The reason I went with 4-pistons and bigger rotors was because I was cooking pads (metallic) and glazing rotors after a day of fast and long descents. I got tired of sanding/alcohol-wiping rotors and pads. Bigger rotors, all problems solved.

bergsnj

i love the modulation of SRAM but I also like the heavy feel of Shimano when you squeeze them. Shimano are also easier to service. I think if i was building a bike from scratch I would choose SRAM but either way you cant go wrong.

Top Bottom