Sram Twister

Maurice

They're lighter than triggers.

I use triggers. I'm not that big of a weight weenie but that may well change.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the weight difference? My biggest problem with grip shifters int he past is that without fail I would inadvertently shift while climbing, or when hammering. It basically turned me off to them for good.

clutch

I run grip shifts on my hardtail. I haven't had any real problem with accidental shifting. It happens once in a while, but not so much that it's an issue. I have a bigger problem with accidentally shifting two gears with the paddle shifters on my full-suspension. If I hit any small bumps while shifting I often end up double shifting.

Pros:
-Incredibly simple and robust mechanism
-added adjustability for your front dérailleur
-Ease of shifting multiple gears at a time. (That's not necessarily a good thing for your cassette, though)
-Lower profile keeps them out of harms way during crashes

-Cons:
Make sure your gloves have the extra padding/piece of leather between you're thumb and index finger.
-limited handle bar grip selection (they have to be flush with the grip shifter, so no cushy oury's)

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Are they really that much lighter? I agree with Norm, the possibility of mis-shifts is reson alone not to use them. I had gripshifts back in 96 but now do nothing but triggers.

I can't believe no SS'ers have started making fun of gears on this thread yet...:)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
The reason I switched to grip shifts is I have arthritis in my thumbs and triggers (at least the old Rapidfires) hurt like hell. I switched many many years ago--'have a early set on my Stumpy; 7-speed and they were actually "Grip Shift" brand then. And before the "old man" comments start, I was 29 when the arthritis showed up :)

'Never had an accidental shifting problem (that I can recall) on the Stumpy with the old Grip Shifts. On my new bike that has X.9s, I have accidentally shifted a few times though..usually when I was floundering\struggling on a hill/tech section. Forward motion would've soon stopped anyway...

I tend to ride with my index finger and/or middle finger on the brake levers (left over from the ol' motocross days I guess), so I'm conditioned to hang on to the grips tighter with my outer three fingers on each hand. This might be why I haven't had any real problems with accidental shifting using the grip shifts :hmmm:

Tim

Maurice

Around 50g gain. That's more than 1/10 of a pound, it's quite considerable actually. You'll also see things like 3 bolts/rotor, which is actually safe to do. Every little counts...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Around 50g gain. That's more than 1/10 of a pound, it's quite considerable actually. You'll also see things like 3 bolts/rotor, which is actually safe to do. Every little counts...

Weight Weenie!!!!:mad:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I rode gripshift for years.

I have one mt bike with gears. It has dura ace bar cons on Pauls perches.

J-

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I switched over to twisters after I broke my thumb, cause I did not have the strength for the triggers for almost a year. Now that I have them, I like them and they are lighter. I'll admit I'm a weanie.:rolleyes:

Few draw backs ... You can wear the grips off in a few years, then they will be hard to work if wet, but they are cheap, so I replace then. Also, very noisy if you plan a sneak attack when racing, :getsome: but I don't do that too often.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Not that I've used them much in the last two years, but one thing I've always liked about triggers is the ability to shift while braking, such as at the bottom of a descent when you've gotta turn and begin climbing again immediately.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Not that I've used them much in the last two years, but one thing I've always liked about triggers is the ability to shift while braking, such as at the bottom of a descent when you've gotta turn and begin climbing again immediately.

90% of my cycling life has been twist and maybe this is why i've turned into a middle finger braker.I never thought about it till i read this............

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
90% of my cycling life has been twist and maybe this is why i've turned into a middle finger braker.I never thought about it till i read this............

I agree, only my cycling life has been way shorter than yours ;) '

Anywho, I love the XO gripshifters. I'd trashed them all this year in various conditions. Muddy isnt a problem for me at all with shifting. And grip selection isn't either; you just tirm the grip to what you feel is the correct size. I run the 'cushy' grips on my hardtail and all I did was cut off a block, so now it says "ury" and "our" :D

Had dual control, hated it. Had rapidfire, didn't like it. Had triggers, but I found that gripshift seems to be the smoothest and quickest for me. I like racing on a trail you don't know that well with these. You could be truckin' along in a low gear, then come to a steep climb and just dump three-four gears at once. That's what I love the most.

Oh and, they're lighter :rolleyes:

hardtale70

Shop Keep
The unknown is why i love them too.Racing hare scramble/enduro,you could be blitzing along at 40 mph then have to slam on the rear brake while dumping the tranny back into 1st or 2nd to shoot up some quick near vertical hill/rut. This style has moved w/ me to the bicycle and there's no smoother way from18th to 1st gear than twist..........

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I think most people brake with the middle since you don't have as much control if you take the pointer (sisters) finger off the bar.

And every time I read this thread I start singing The Twist.

D

DANSPANK

The Sram trigers and the new XTRs are thumb-shift doodads so no need to remove digits from the bar. And I'm sure my '08 XOs allow me to dump 3 gears at a time. I love 'em.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
I think most people brake with the middle since you don't have as much control if you take the pointer (sisters) finger off the bar.

And every time I read this thread I start singing The Twist.

Whatever you say i guess.Most people notice how i brake and think it's freakish.I thought i was way in the minority on this one.............

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
The Sram trigers and the new XTRs are thumb-shift doodads so no need to remove digits from the bar. And I'm sure my '08 XOs allow me to dump 3 gears at a time. I love 'em.

deore and up is push/pull shiftable now.

Top Bottom