SRAM SX cranks experience?

Rob Munro

thanks for the great feedback regarding crank length. its unanimous shorter cranks are better. 10mm is less than 1/2" of extra clearance. in other words, this: ________

I have 175mm Descendant DUB Boost. NX and GX offer 165mm. SX goes all the way to 155. almost a full inch shorter than 175, approx. _________________

GX is my floor for cassette and derailleur but for cranks...maybe the SX is fine. anyone riding them now? They are a bit heavier and a lot uglier than GX but I think the 20mm drop would be sweet. any reason to steer clear?

Last edited:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
A hooker can be a male or female?
Or non-binary? Hey, at least they're working for their money and not leeching off the tax payers. I think there's a different name for those people. I won't say it because I don't want to disrespect them. Oh wait, maybe I just did. Is there a MTBNJ jail I might get tossed in to?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Or non-binary? Hey, at least they're working for their money and not leeching off the tax payers. I think there's a different name for those people. I won't say it because I don't want to disrespect them. Oh wait, maybe I just did. Is there a MTBNJ jail I might get tossed in to?

Sex workers is the currently acceptable term for those voluntarily in the business.

They aren't "those people" - just people. Just like everything else, you'd be surprised who is involved.

tonyride

Sex workers is the currently acceptable term for those voluntarily in the business.

They aren't "those people" - just people. Just like everything else, you'd be surprised who is involved.
Maybe I should say "people in that field of work" because in that context just saying "people" implies the entire population. Sex worker? OK. I didn't know the other term is derogatory but OK. I haven't been around that industry so I didn't know. My apologies to all sex workers out there.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Or non-binary?
Was speaking in biological terms... but I guess there are hermaphrodites.

I think the more PC term is "providers"?

But anyways..I don't think I've seen a "bad" components as long as you are buying from a reputable brand like Shimano or sram or etc in the recent years.

Seems to me, it's that cost to weight ratio.

No personal experience with SX cranks but if I was a a budget, I don't think I would have a problem installing it on my bike/s

tonyride

But anyways..I don't think I've seen a "bad" components as long as you are buying from a reputable brand like Shimano or sram or etc in the recent years.

Seems to me, it's that cost to weight ratio.
Yeah, based on my experience I feel pretty much the same way. To feed my tinkering with bikes and N+1 problem I've ridden, built, and tested bikes of all materials with components from XTR to MicroShift, air forks from Fox Factory and RS Pike Ultimate to Bucklos from Amazon, etc. In fact in my garage I currently have 2 hard tails on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a titanium one with carbon wheels and bar, Eagle drive, Pike Ultimate 29er and also a budget build generic aluminum 29er frame with Amazon crankset, BB, headset, fork, etc. and 10-speed MicroShift AdventX drive. I've ridden them both back to back and the differences, as expected, were immediate, very apparent and noticeable. Although the budget bike was clearly inferior in just about every metric, it still worked. The fork was not nearly as smooth or adjustable but it did soak up the bumps. The AdventX shifter and derailleur was slow to shift but was solid and accurate. The Tektro Draco hydraulic brakes didn't modulate nearly as well but stopped the bike every time. So do budget components work? I'd say yes but not as well as the more expensive versions. Are they safe? So far so good. That's a long winded answer to your question so the SX will work just fine for as long as you want to use them.

tonyride

Cranks are possibly the lowest performance : price ratio you can find. If you don't care about excess weight (like @jimvreeland said way the **** back), they work.
I'd say the same for stems. They do nothing but hold the handle bar in place while clamped on to the steer tube. At least with crank arms you can feel some compliance among various materials. With a short stem you don't notice anything in my opinion.

Top Bottom