Sram Rival 09

olegbabich

I like SRAM Rival on the road and give me Shimano XT in the woods. For my needs I do not see any reason for a higher priced groups.:D

BShow

...The only thing I have seen is broken brake levers in falls, and that doesn't happen with Shimano because of the design (whole lever twists as opposed to just paddle.)

Didnt think about that. Leaving them a little loose-ish on the bars will allow them to rotate a bit on impact and maybe save the lever. But yea... try not to crash :)

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I much prefer SRAM, as well. I like the one-lever design, and it took only a few ride to get used to. I really like that the brake levers are fixed and don't pivot like Shimano; I tended to never pull straight back when braking and I'd get a weird mix of shifting and braking. My own fault, yes, but SRAM is just very simple and works well.

BiknBen

I have never been a fan of SRAM. They got cheap, light, and marketing right. This missed big time on refinement and durability.

Rear derailleurs that won't shift to the smallest cog because the spring is too weak. Front shifting is laughable because of the front derailleur, bad shift ramps and the lever that requires a long throw. Shift levers break way too often. The PowerDome cassette acts like a drum. Loudest shifts I've ever heard.

I think there is promise for the stuff being released right now. Unfortunately, they made the consumer do their testing for them. I understand that every brand makes small improvements over time. Sram put out something that fell well short and are only now getting it right.

If you love it cause it is inexpensive. You win.
If you love it cause it is light...drop a few pounds of body weight and you'll be better off.
If you love the buzz and hype. I'm glad that makes you feel better about your bike. :rolleyes:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
says the dude w/ the rear der that costs more than many people's bikes..

HeavyMetaLance

Thanks guys!
You've definitely given me a lot of info.
Definitely the input I was looking for.

I usually adapt very well to different types of components on bikes. I was mainly curious about the shifting because it is kind of a major change. It seems like it's a non-issue with a lot of people.

ChrisRU

I've got the full Rival group on my 2011 TCX and it has been great. I have abused the crap out of it with almost no maintainence and it keeps going strong. It didn't just survive through this past CX season's mud bogged races, it worked well in the races. I can't ask for much more than that.

If I had to knock it I can buy the argument that it feels "unrefined". At the same time, the shifting feedback is deliberate and positive. It might not be super finesse, but it works, and works well.

BiknBen

There was no need to make it personal. I am looking across at 8 bikes. Only one has Di2. I didn't go there. I have plenty of experience with Sram and Shimano to provide an educated response. Which I did.

I can discredit half of the responses here with one simple question. "Have you purchased a new bike with anything other than Sram?" You went from some second-hand beater to a new bike with Sram. Of course you think Sram is awesome.

kush

I now have two near-identical and relatively new Cannondales, one with Red, one with DuraAce. Shimano DA wins hands down (sorry J). For shifting and for brakes.

I also have two cross bikes, one with Ultegra, one with Rival. It's close, but I'd nod to Ultegra for feel.

I do like very much the lack of cable clutter, however.

ChrisRU

You went from some second-hand beater to a new bike with Sram. Of course you think Sram is awesome.

I think we all value your input on topics like these, I don't think the above posts detract from what you've added, but are more so just trying to put things in perspective. For many of us the statement I quoted sums up our experience- and I think it also points out what most of us are after. Can we do better? Absolutely. Does the Rival group seem to offer a great value at the price point its offered at? I think so. Its great to me, because I don't know any better :) When I was looking at bikes, my budget put me at the 105 or Rival level. Do you think the 105 group is a better buy?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Since 105 has been brought up, aka the lower end of cycling components, i now have a way to chime in;

i havent adjusted my 105 stuff after 1 full year of cross. it never let me down. it hasn't been serviced. it has always shifted correctly. i love the way it feels. even if i have a slight hick up in between gears, a little touch of the shifter ALWAYS puts it back into the correct gear. I have 105 om my road bike and i don't see the reason to spend more for anything else. Visually, I would love to upgrade to the hoods that have the cables run under the bar tape, but its just too many ballons to spend. Am i just lucky or does the 105 stuff "just work?" your call.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have ridden both brands, 105 - dura ace, rival - red (shifters, force derails). I have rival on one bike and red/force on another right now, but shimano chains and cassettes as SRAM's suck the big one.

Shimano has the smoothest shifting hands down, however I dislike very much the shifting from the brake lever, just always felt sloppy to me. Sram has a crisper and more clunky up shift but down shifting is better. I also like srams more compact hood and lever design. Even the new shamino stuff just looks chunky.

I don't have a problem with shimano, but my better bike has sram and it just makes sense to have both from the same company so items can be swapped and retired to the other bike without issues.

BShow

I can discredit half of the responses here with one simple question. "Have you purchased a new bike with anything other than Sram?" You went from some second-hand beater to a new bike with Sram. Of course you think Sram is awesome.

For the record, I have no material issues with any of the components, shimano or sram. It's just nitpicking one way or the other. They all work great in my humble opinion and I have experienced none of the real issues that you've mentioned.

Right now, in my garage there is a cross bike with 7700, a road bike with 7800, a road bike with Red, two cross bikes with Force. Two doors down at my Father in-law's house, there is a cross bike with 7700, a cross bike with 7800 and a road bike with 7900. These bikes are not cobbled together nor are any of us coming from second hand pos.

As with everything, it's all a matter of personal preference and as far as I can tell, there are three ways to influence your decision of which shifters to buy: 1) personal experience/preference/opinion, 2) experience/preference/opinion from others and 3) some combination of the two. I usually prefer method #3, especially when faced with a decision to try something new - like this thread.

But you know what? People say that opinions are like azsholes... Everybody has them and they all stink. So with that in mind, just remember: SRAM, Shimano, Campy - they all suck.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I blew up my 105 front shifter, but that may have been due to using a triple shifter with a double crank.

I like the external cables, provides a nice place to clip cue sheets...

And yeah, no issues running 105 (Ultegra rear derailleur) for the last few years. Makes it super hard to justify upgrading.

-Steve

Since 105 has been brought up, aka the lower end of cycling components, i now have a way to chime in;

i havent adjusted my 105 stuff after 1 full year of cross. it never let me down. it hasn't been serviced. it has always shifted correctly. i love the way it feels. even if i have a slight hick up in between gears, a little touch of the shifter ALWAYS puts it back into the correct gear. I have 105 om my road bike and i don't see the reason to spend more for anything else. Visually, I would love to upgrade to the hoods that have the cables run under the bar tape, but its just too many ballons to spend. Am i just lucky or does the 105 stuff "just work?" your call.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want campy. Then I'll be allowed to get a campy hat....right?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This is exactly why both brands have continues success.

Some prefer chocolate and some vanilla.

Top Bottom