SRAM Guide Pads

ADKmike

Need to do first replacement on a set of SRAM Guides on my Devinci Troy

I noticed they make sintered/organic and aluminum/steel backing varieties.

What's pros/cons of each and why would you want one over the other?

Should I buy OEM pads or is there a better brand to buy?

Thanks

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Metal, not as grippy, but last much longer
organic, more grippy, but you can trash a pair in on muddy ride. I think the guides come stock with organic.

I typically just stick with Avid brand pads, the other options out there dont seems to have many benefits.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I prefer metallic on all my bikes. Though organics claim more initial bite, this is in dry, and initial bite. Metallic in my experience perform better all around; wet or winter riding, don't fade as much if you point your bike down and brake a lot like me, and last longer. I started using Jagwire pads just because they're cheaper. On some application for me though, they seemed to have thicker than factory material and you'd need to make sure they are set up very well. Sticking to factory is usually a good option. As for backing, I'm assuming aluminum is more expensive because lighter and deals with heat better.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run sram organic pads on all my guides which work fine. Pad life varies but typically around 500-600 miles. They are cheap enough I just keep a couple extra sets around. O yea steel plates bc I'm cheap

Danimal

i'm looking into Jagwire pads now and see they have a few metallic options and i'm leading more toward the "pro semi metallic". Anyone have experience with them?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm looking into Jagwire pads now and see they have a few metallic options and i'm leading more toward the "pro semi metallic". Anyone have experience with them?
Yes. I've been using Jagwires as replacements on all my disc bikes since they're a few dollars cheaper. On one set of Level brakes they seems like maybe the pad material was a bit thick so they rubbed for a bit, otherwise they're great.

Danimal

Ordered the "pro semi metallic " pads. Will see how they do. Super excited that I got the lightweight aluminum backed pads, cause now I'll be 5 mph faster per segment ?

Top Bottom