SRAM 11-speed chain with Shimano drive?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
OK, I think I know the answer but I just wanted to double check, it is OK with use a SRAM 11-speed chain with Shimano 11-speed cassette? I'm thinking yes but need a sanity check.

Works, but not as good. The chain plate profiling on the Shimano makes a significant (as in, you can tell) difference in terms of shift speed.

Yes, shimano chains are better on both sram and shimano cassettes but sram will work on shimano.

This is truth. I haven't tried it with Eagle yet though because the AXS shifts super insane already so you don't need it.

Is Shimano now using a quick link, or does it still require a press in pin? I have been using SRAM for over a decade.

I mean, they use a quick link, but since the only time you should be opening a quick link is in the shop, and you need a chain tool to shorten the chain...

(It's a moot point, anyway. They're no longer producing pins for 12 speed chains, and they are phasing them out for 8 and 11 speed. They will disappear eventually.)

The problem with dropping their chain on 12 speed is that the quick link only works with their own chainrings/chainrings designed for HG+ chains. I find it amusing that after years of SRAM passive aggressively changing little things to be incompatible, Shimano did the same thing. (case in point: I hope that the SRAM 'engineer' who designed the flat top chain gets every chain tool that they suddenly made obsolete shoved up their bum. They'd probably like it.)

Honestly, the only thing keeping Shimano from burying SRAM is 1) marketing, and 2) getting slapped with anti-trust stuff.

Reactions: w_b
I mean, they use a quick link, but since the only time you should be opening a quick link is in the shop, and you need a chain tool to shorten the chain...

(It's a moot point, anyway. They're no longer producing pins for 12 speed chains, and they are phasing them out for 8 and 11 speed. They will disappear eventually.)

The problem with dropping their chain on 12 speed is that the quick link only works with their own chainrings/chainrings designed for HG+ chains. I find it amusing that after years of SRAM passive aggressively changing little things to be incompatible, Shimano did the same thing. (case in point: I hope that the SRAM 'engineer' who designed the flat top chain gets every chain tool that they suddenly made obsolete shoved up their bum. They'd probably like it.)

Honestly, the only thing keeping Shimano from burying SRAM is 1) marketing, and 2) getting slapped with anti-trust stuff.
Yeah but the 12 speed chains work fine with non HG+ rings/cassette. I ran one on 11 speed with zero issues. The only thing different is the curve on the chain plate is more shallow and the chamfers are slight different.

Back
Top Bottom