Sprain or Trumball?

D

DANSPANK

I'll be in CT tomorrow morning for a meeting but was thinking about hitting either Sprain or Trumball oin the way back. Has anyone been to both and can suggest which one is more XC inspired? I'm look for a flowy faster ride, as opposed to a rock garden judder-fest. I haven't been to either one and am keen to try something new.

I know Blue isn't so far away but I've been there and I want to try a new park instead.

Thanks all!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I have no experience with Trumball , but would like to hear more. Sprain is techy XC. It is basically like a mini-blue. I personally find it more difficult though as the flow seems to be more broken up, and the the trails, especially the advanced trials can be down right dangerous. Having a techy descent that ridges a cliff, or a mandatory skinny that travles 15' above large jagged rock is where my nerves cross the line.

A good place, if you don't know it already, for info on these parks is www.bikerag.com trail review section. They have pictures, which is awesome.

The good thing about Sprain is it is pretty difficult to get lost when using their map. Sprain maps are available at www.wmba.org

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Is Graham Hills on your way back? That might be a little bit more in line with what you're looking for. Not really flowy, just not as techy as Blue or Sprain. Good for a shorter ride. Info also available at the same websites.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I've ridden both a number of times. Both are fun and worth checking out. Both are pretty tech. I wouldn't call either a rock garden judder-fest- Sprain tends to be slickrock tech lines connected with flowy trails, or a massive log-over fest (on the aptly-named Eric's Over the Log trail). Trumbull is similar- lots of ledges and small drops here and there, but the tech-est stuff is all alternate lines and just off the main trails.

Trumbull is a river valley that's been carved out by the river at the bottom. Sprain is on the top of a glacial-carved ridgeline. Don't be put off from all the freeride vids of both places- there's still plenty of good XC in both. Flip a coin- you can't go wrong. Graham Hills is also excellent, pre Brian's rec...

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Sprain just has two places that scare the poo out of me, both newer trails, and in the spot that scares me there were no alternate lines. You either walk or ride.

Anyways, that is just my timid riding, Dan could ride it backwards for all i know.

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

If you put a 3" wide lump of wood a couple of inches off the ground then almost anyone will ride it. Put a 6" piece 10ft up a tree and only those with ball as ballasts will do it. Now I don't mind breaking me but I have a vacation coming up next week and I want to be in one piece for it!

I looked at where I'm going - Naugatuck, and the direction I'm going in - along Merrick Parkway, and I pass right by both Trumball and Sprain although I think I'll try Trumball as I can ride and get a bite to eat afterwards whilst the rush hour traffic calms down. I can then trundle back home to NNJ quite easily.

So, any "must hit" trails in Trumball? Come on Jamie, you must be full of trail info!

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Dan- I've only ridden Trumbull with CT guys who knew the trails, so I don't know my way around. Here's a pretty decent map, though...

trumbull-map.jpg

We park in the commuter lot at the bottom of the map...

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I've riden both a number of times. Trumbull is larger and more fun. Park at the commuter lot on off Daniel's Farm Rd.

Take the Merritt Pkyway to exit 49N. In only about mile, get off at Daniel's Farm Rd.; make left, cross over Rt. 25 and then a quick right and park at the commuter lot about 1/4 mile down on the left. The trailhead is at the end of the cul-de-sac. The park is a maze of singletrack but after you cross the small stream in the beginning, generally take every trail to the right; this should keep you hugging the overhang, very close to Route 25.

You'll have a great time! Ask the locals to steer you in the direction of Picnic Table Rock.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Oh yeah, for eats...,make a right out of the commuter lot and head back the 1/4 mile to Daniel's Farm Rd. Make right and in about 1/2 a mile on the left there'll be a small mall of stores. Look for The Bar & Grill (good selection of beers) on the right, across from the Starbucks.

D

DANSPANK

It brings a tear to my eye to think how helpful you boys have been. I'm going to ride the crap out of this place in your honour!

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Dan,

If you try to follow jbogner's map you'll be starting at the lower right corner and like I stated, more or less at every trail junction (on the map indicated by RED), at least in the beginning, keep to the right for the better ride.

Another $0.02, the Blue Trail (which runs next to the river) on the lower portion of that map is the best in the park and it rides best in a N to S direction. It'd be well worth your time to check it out...

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
I concur with those directions- we stayed right on the way out then hit the blue trail on the way back. Although that blue trail has some juddery rock gardens in it for sure. ;)

D

DANSPANK

I finished my meeting and got to Trumbull at about 4ish. This place is a LOT of fun. It's not so big so I don't think you'd get your distance-fix here but the rocks are great to play around on.

I headed in on the red trail until I lost it. Then tooled around on the yellow trail making my way as far noth as I could. I came across a dog park and a playground area on the east side of the park too.

When I thought I'd reached most northerly tip I followed the river down to find the blue trail and hurtled along that.

There are loads of criss-cross trails too and I didn't take them all. The trails take good advantage of the rocks and you come across loads of 1, 2, and 3 foot natural jumps. I took some pcis with my phone. They're a bit fuzzy but you get a tiny bit of an impression for what the place has.

A common rock jump, with my bike for perspective:
i7F9B0591-4C8A-4508-A7FD-F5564BBBFE26.jpg

This roll-down on the red trail is pretty steep, although you can't tell from this angle;
iB18ABDF8-0B81-4D32-B2FE-C522B0FFE027.jpg

Here's the view looking down it:
iDD861C33-A08F-4625-AB65-4125438B351B.jpg

A nice, big log roller:
iB35B6A6E-2827-4F3A-90B6-0CB40BD06DDD.jpg

You can give this a go if you like. The height in the centre is about 4ft:
i141BA71F-6DA2-4A79-8C50-973A4632CB0F.jpg

And then work your way up to this drop:
i70CECEFD-8046-4C18-827B-33063527487A.jpg

As I was getting changed at the end I got chatting with a guy who was just about to head out. He had a Gary Fisher 29er and was wearing the kit so I asked him if he knew Jimmy Vreeland. I mentioned that Jim was just at Allumuchy and races for GF throughou the summer. It clicked and he says "hello Jim!". His name was Micheal and he's based in CT somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DANSPANK

oh man, I don't know how you get the pictures to show - mods, please help!!

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
As I was getting changed at the end I got chatting with a guy who was just about to head out. He had a Gary Fisher 29er and was wearing the kit so I asked him if he knew Jimmy Vreeland. I mentioned that Jim was just at Allumuchy and races for GF throughou the summer. It clicked and he says "hello Jim!". His name was Micheal and he's based in CT somewhere.

Michael Patrick. He's fast, and one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

Looks like you had fun, Dan. If you want to see some Trumbull drop action, check out the two Trumbull vids on the NYCMTB media page...

http://www.nycmtb.com/media.html

Top Bottom