Spokes length

michvin

Hello.
I bought a set of wheels recently, what I did not know, is that I am buying a learning experience, which I'm not opposed to at all. The rear currently has Spec hub with Shimano driver, that can't hold more than 10 cogs(?). Since I need 11 to match derailleur and the other wheelset I have, I'll need to replace hub (can't replace driver only, I was told) to XD-compatible. I am (hopefully) getting a bontrager hub from pinkbike (if someone has one for sale (boost 148, 28H, XD, - let me know!). This bontrager is direct pull spokes and I will need spokes, and with that comes the question: which length do I need?

Thanks!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you see a spacer on the freehub? If you take that off, 11 speed should work no problem. Unless the spacer is missing and will already work. Hard to believe that a recently purchased/boost hub would not take 11spd.

michvin

Yes it is 148mm, and there seem to be no spacers. Pic attached. 10spd cassette left no space on the driver at all..

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 73

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I agree that a boost hub is probably 11sp compatible. XD gets you 11sp where the smallest cog is 10 tooth. Shimano and some sram 11speed have 11t as smallest. This is where the driver is different

Anyway, learning how to build a wheel is worth it. Lots of Internet resources

Who knows where there spoke calculator lives?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Is it odd that I have not owned a 11spd bike? All my bikes are either 10spd or 12spd.
Anyways... Spokes Calculator

Has the OP tried fitting a 11spd cassette on this freehub?

Patrick

Staff member
10 and 11 speed mountain use the same freehub body. You'll only need a new hub if you're trying to run a sub 34t road cassette.

no spacer on mountain? maybe that is why the shifting sucks on my.....
lern sumthin noo ery day.

michvin

Is it odd that I have not owned a 11spd bike? All my bikes are either 10spd or 12spd.
Anyways... Spokes Calculator

Has the OP tried fitting a 11spd cassette on this freehub?
Thanks! LBS told me, that 11spd will not fit on this hub. I kind of though that the spacing between cogs will be smaller in 11spd cassette and the overal height will be same as 10 spd, but apparently I was wrong.

michvin

10 and 11 speed mountain use the same freehub body. You'll only need a new hub if you're trying to run a sub 34t road cassette.
Really? Thats not what Westwood cycle told me. And I don't have 11spd Shimano cassette handy to try it out..
I agree that a boost hub is probably 11sp compatible. XD gets you 11sp where the smallest cog is 10 tooth. Shimano and some sram 11speed have 11t as smallest. This is where the driver is different

Anyway, learning how to build a wheel is worth it. Lots of Internet resources

Who knows where there spoke calculator lives?
Thanks! My cassette is 10-42. I'd definitely try fitting 11spd cassette on it, if I had one available, but unfortunately I don't...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ah.... needs an XD driver...
Simplest thing to do is just get a 11spd cassette that fits the current freehub. Might as well get a 11-46 if your rd can take it IMO.

michvin

Your patience with my silly questions is quite unbelievable! I appreciate that a lot!
I was thinking about 10-42t (thats what I have now) cassette because this wheelset will be used as an optional set with fatter tires. Ideally, just remove one set, pop in the other, tighten axles, done. Wouldn't moving to 11-46 require readjustment of the RD (as @Paul H suggested above)? Derailleur adjustment when moving from set to set is what I'm trying to avoid here..

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Your patience with my silly questions is quite unbelievable! I appreciate that a lot!
I was thinking about 10-42t (thats what I have now) cassette because this wheelset will be used as an optional set with fatter tires. Ideally, just remove one set, pop in the other, tighten axles, done. Wouldn't moving to 11-46 require readjustment of the RD (as @Paul H suggested above)? Derailleur adjustment when moving from set to set is what I'm trying to avoid here..
If you do a 11-42... thinking there should be no RD adjustments needed. Will let others chime in

Patrick

Staff member

No adjustment with same big cog. Other than perhaps a small twist of the barrel adjuster. You may need to shim the rotor. Shims in many sizes are available

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your patience with my silly questions is quite unbelievable!
FWIW... the usual answer to your original question would be fire and or new bike...

As for swapping two wheelests back and forth on the same bike, I have a Giant plus set with Shimano 11-42 and a Stan's 29" with SRAM XD 10-42 that I can regularly swap back and forth with no adjustments made to the rear der.

michvin

FWIW... the usual answer to your original question would be fire and or new bike...

As for swapping two wheelests back and forth on the same bike, I have a Giant plus set with Shimano 11-42 and a Stan's 29" with SRAM XD 10-42 that I can regularly swap back and forth with no adjustments made to the rear der.
Oh, thats really good to know! Thank you!

Top Bottom