Splurge vs Save?

one piece crank

The two guys I rode with today spent an average of $12k on their rather well equipped ebikes...splurge?
You used to be able to buy a pretty cool toy (insert "old vehicle of your choosing") for that or less! Now almost everything is $20k-$40k. I see people advertising vehicles similar to ones I own, and I'm like, "wait, how much?!"

Ian F

You used to be able to buy a pretty cool toy (insert "old vehicle of your choosing") for that or less! Now almost everything is $20k-$40k. I see people advertising vehicles similar to ones I own, and I'm like, "wait, how much?!"
For some time I've had a theory this is part of what has driven the prices of bikes. Gen Xers with a little bit of extra $$$ don't have enough money to buy that old muscle car they wanted back in high school, but they do have enough for a 5-figure mtn bike. Partly because that theory somewhat applies to me since even if I sold off the small fleet of cheap British cars I own I couldn't afford one driver-quality '69 Charger...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For some time I've had a theory this is part of what has driven the prices of bikes. Gen Xers with a little bit of extra $$$ don't have enough money to buy that old muscle car they wanted back in high school, but they do have enough for a 5-figure mtn bike. Partly because that theory somewhat applies to me since even if I sold off the small fleet of cheap British cars I own I couldn't afford one driver-quality '69 Charger...

But $99,999 is five figures and I can buy any muscle car out there with that.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
But what is cheap versus not having to splurge. Good example is a solid frame and upgraded drive train and wheels.

Cassinonorth

But what is cheap versus not having to splurge. Good example is a solid frame and upgraded drive train and wheels.

Think that's purely a "how much disposable income do you have?" type of question. Cheap will differ wildly depending on who you ask.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Stumpjumper Pro = Cheap.

Stumpjumper S-Works = Splurge.

But for realz...

I buy the "Pro" model of everything. It's the exact spot where Price vs. Performance intersect. Usually upgrades over the "Expert" model will include a substantial suspension upgrade, electronic shifting, and carbon wheels for a fraction of the cost of trying to buy any of those parts later. In the opposite direction would be upgrading to an S-Works Level bike where you'll pay a premium upgrade cost without seeing any performance gains. So, that's a splurge. Paying more money for nothing substantial other than saying you have the top bike.

one piece crank

I may not announce a new-to-me bike's arrival, but I'll certainly get called-out on it 12-14 months later, when I have dig deep to explain, "no, remember when you had to move it to get to the thingamagig? Yes, it's been here that whole time...".

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
maybe im lucky, but my wife doesnt really care what i spend my money on, as long as my share of the house bills are paid my money is mine to spend as i please.

she may think some of the stuff i spend on is crazy but shes never tried to tell me i cant spend it. . . .

a bit more on topic, the last bike i bought while she was away for the week and she didnt realize i bought it till i went to sell the old one it was replacing 🤷‍♂️

thegock

Picked up a SJ Expert, pimped hoops and cranks, in December. Hung in garage. I barely look at my bikes, she looks less so. Earlier this month, my wife asked me which bike was the one on the patio. I said "the Stumpjumper" and got some weak followup question that I finessed. Nothing before or since. It may help to have a lot of bikes in the garage.
PXL_20210918_153051708.MP-01.jpeg

Top Bottom