Spearfish

cem

Manufacturer: Salsa
Product: Spearfish
How Long Used: 2 hours 45 minutes
Similar Products Used: C-dale RUSH & 1FG
Overall Rating [1-10]: 8.77

Positive: So far this bike is living up to the hype. Likes to go down hill fast. Climbs better then my RUSH standing, but seated seems the way to go or at-least for me. Parts and weight to msrp ratio seems pretty good. First non-lefty in 10 years. I was a little nervous about the Reba, but it performed quite well. Nice to have rebound and compression. Only change from stock was a tube-ectomy, stock nano's with stan's still holding strong.

Negative: I guess it could be lighter, but so would my wallet.

Comments: This bikes seems like its the love child of my RUSH and 1FG. After about 40 minutes I forgot I was on a new ride and just settled in. So far I've only rode Hartshorn, which always feels fast and smooth compared to Ringwood. As soon as it dries out I'll have a better idea on familiar trails.

web.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice ride Chris,
When Ringwood dries up we gotta get a ride in...we missed the winter riding at RW. Although I did have some good times XC skiing RW.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Good to hear. I'm considering one of these myself for the NUE series races I'll be doing. I'll be interested in your opinion on how it feels on long rides.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you weighed it? I'm curious about the actual weight

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Not over-hype this bike, but they are in very short supply.

I have a med on the floor w/ 5 more coming. Salsa is sold out for the year already.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not over-hype this bike, but they are in very short supply.

I have a med on the floor w/ 5 more coming. Salsa is sold out for the year already.

just goes to show how much pricepoint matters.

cem

4.5 hours @ Ringwood

So, i finally got some seat time on familiar trails. I'm not sure if Spearfish, South Dakota is anything like Ringwood because this bike could not be more at home there. Started at Skyline went to 6 bridges, some of the race course, skylands and a few others then headed back on cannonball.

From steep tech grinder climbs to picking your way down sketchy rock steps it handled them all with out a hitch. Made it through a few sections that always give me trouble too.

I've taken my 1FG through most of this stuff too. So I know the 29er part helps a lot with traction and smoothing out chatter. Its the 80mm of travel in the rear that add some leeway in not so precise lines as well as keeping the rear wheel planted on climbs. Standing for climbs seems to work because there really isn't that much travel to push through before you start moving. After about 3 hours is nice not to feel every bump up your spine. Not to mention having gears is like a vacation.

Added a new slightly narrower bar and stem that seemed to put me in a better position as well dropping .25 lbs. Still haven't weighted yet, but 27.5-28.5 seems to be the average i've seen online.

I'm digging the new 2X10. Seems like i hardly shift up front, feels like a 1X10 with two options. I stayed in the small ring today and mostly the big ring at Hartshorne. A true 1X10 could be very cool.

Ringwood just absolutely shreds tires like a cheese grater especially the yellow from skyline. On my last few miles i got a small side wall puncture that stans sealant had a little trouble sealing. Thought the stock tires are working as tubless i don't see the thin side walls last to long. yeah tire shopping.

web.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So glad you are digging it. you need some of the TNT tires i have been riding w/ the bomber sidewalls.

map111158

Whoaaa wait skyline and RW are rideable? Awesome thanks.

Nice bike, like you said I really like the 1x10 setup Ive been using.

Top Bottom