SPD shoe recommendations

Johnny Utah

What it is - my shoes are pretty toast, they are so loose and broke in it feels like I am wearing flip flops.

What do you like for SPD style shoes for summer? Riding MTB/gravel these days, nothing crazy but I do like 50+ miles cruses.

I've been using Shimano XC7 for a few years. Current pair, probably 4yrs. Replaced 1 broken BOA last year from a rock strike in Rothrock. Have a backup new pair ready to go that I picked up on sale.

They just work. Came back to Shimano after trying Pearl Izumi and Sidi.

This is Shimanos first foot shaped shoe

love em

aslo these are well liked:

Last edited:
These have been very comfortable for me, especially after years of Shimano XC shoes that didn't jive well with my feet. I only really figured that out after trying these shoes.

another vote for this guy, im on my second pair, but with the rocks and shit that i ride i only get ~ a year out of ANY pair of shoes, Bontrager has been VERY good about replacing them under warranty for me when they let go (so i get mulitple years out of a single purchase)

Do you have a preference for rigid, road style shoes or more flexible, MTB flat style shoes?

This is Shimanos first foot shaped shoe

love em

aslo these are well liked:

You stocking those GE900s? Not that I know when I'd be able to swing by the shop but I'm interested.

When you say foot shaped, do you mean on the Altra actual wide foot toe box spectrum? I've had such mixed results with Shimano shoes, mostly finding the higher end ones are too narrow.

Outside of the price those are really appealing if the toe box is wide and the tread is good. With all the stream crossings I do the regular XC shoe treads are unsafe.

You stocking those GE900s? Not that I know when I'd be able to swing by the shop but I'm interested.

When you say foot shaped, do you mean on the Altra actual wide foot toe box spectrum? I've had such mixed results with Shimano shoes, mostly finding the higher end ones are too narrow.

Outside of the price those are really appealing if the toe box is wide and the tread is good. With all the stream crossings I do the regular XC shoe treads are unsafe.
I only wear altra shoes and these are closest i have seen to that shape.

Specialized Recon 3.0's are what I have... Love them... the new version is $250, but there's tons of previous years still available for like $160 or so. That's what I currently have....

New: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/r...shoe/p/1000137929?color=1000138235-1000137929

Older: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/recon-30-gravel--mountain-bike-shoe/p/173643?color=272360-173643

Of course you can go down in price to the 2.0's or up to the S-Works, but the older 3.0's are a great value because sale.

I've been kicking around in the laced version of the Five Ten Kestrel. Comfortable, solid platform but not super stiff, good for the occasional hike-a-bike. Available in a boa

Five Ten Kestrel Pro Boa Shoes Men's https://a.co/d/0hbLocj0

Back
Top Bottom