Sparta Glenn

Shaggz

A strong 7
Sean: there is an uphill trail in the sparta glenn that is obvious from glenn road now that the leaves are down. do you know where that connects on the other side of the mountain? my guess is that it connects to the sparta wma, but i have yet to google earth it.

Shaggz

A strong 7
the glenn is on your right hand side as you take the final descent into sparta from glenn road. there is a neat little walking trail that follows a brook, with some picnic tables, etc. as you go down the hill, look at the hill/mountain across the glenn, and there is a trail that climbs from left to right, and then a swithback, and it continues to climb. i hiked about 10 minutes past the sb with my son on several occasions, but didn't push it since he is only 3. i may take the bike out there tomorrow just to explore some...

SpartaBard

Shaggz said:
Sean: there is an uphill trail in the sparta glenn that is obvious from glenn road now that the leaves are down. do you know where that connects on the other side of the mountain? my guess is that it connects to the sparta wma, but i have yet to google earth it.

Ditto! I have been meaning to ask you the exact same question. It basically looks like a fireroad going up the hill to the north back into the woods. It gives the appearance of connecting into Sparta Mtn. WMA way to the north near Edison Road.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i thought sparta glenn was a new member moving in on sparta brad's turf. :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
brad - i hiked the glenn again with my son today. from a technical standpoint, that hill is rideable, a little loose initially, and turns rocky after the first big turn. however, it is a long sustained climb, so fitness will be key. there are several options at the top, but colin was tired, so we hiked back down after a lunch stop. i hope to throw it into the weekly schedule as long as the weather cooperates.

Shaggz

A strong 7
it is a hiking trail - maybe 3 feet wide. lots of rock outcroppings at the top. real pretty becasue you can see lake mohawk from there.

heythorp

brad - i hiked the glenn again with my son today. from a technical standpoint, that hill is rideable, a little loose initially, and turns rocky after the first big turn. however, it is a long sustained climb, so fitness will be key. there are several options at the top, but colin was tired, so we hiked back down after a lunch stop. i hope to throw it into the weekly schedule as long as the weather cooperates.

longer/steeper/ harder then say the tourne or the needle?

Last edited:

SpartaBard

longer/steeper/ harder then say the tourne or the needle?

Yes. It basically becomes very unrideable. Even for Anrothar! It is only a hiking trail. I just hiked around the area, see attached .kmz file.

Great views of Lake Mohawk and Morris Lake. It flattens out at the top but the trail basically disappears after a while.

Shaggz

A strong 7
brad, i would disagree with that statement. i think the first part, while sustained is doable, and the turn isn't sharp enough to be a switchback. the second part of the climb is comparable to the red trail at the tourne, but again, more sustained. fitness and conditioning are the key. i stopped at the top where the rock outcroppings are.

heythorp - definitely more challenging than both the tourne and the needlse - i would hesitate to call this a destination trail becasue of my unfamilairity of the surrounding trails. if all goes well, i will be able to come up with a challenging loop there over the winter.

SpartaBard

When did you stop hiking? I kept on going and eventually hit a steep rock face that I had to climb using both hands. Once you get up to the top of the ridge the trail is unrideable from a vegetation point of view.

The lower portion is definitely rideable, but once you reach the intersection and turn right it gets progressively more difficult.

Shaggz

A strong 7
wow that's pretty cool, colin got a kick out of that too. i stopped at the "nose" before the steep sticky. can you calculate distance?

SpartaBard

0.25 miles

If you use the measure tool in GE it comes to a quarter of a mile, but that is a tought 0.25 mile for a kid, straight up hill. See image.

Shaggz

A strong 7
fred - it i certainly not a destination ride, unless there is a way to tie into te sparta mountain wma. brad, what about the distance from the shelter to the peak?

Top Bottom