Spanish driver sues dead crash cyclist for damage

Spylab

If the driver was at no fault, then his auto insurance company should have paid for the repairs on the car, no? Am I missing something here?

C

Cthulhu

A result is different than "want" though. Again, I tend to doubt he "wants" to do any such thing. But then, maybe he does. Still, I think it's reasonable to assume he doesn't and that in his mind he sees himself as wronged.

He may also be operating under the guise of, "Well I'm not suing his family I'm suing the insurance company." The human mind is an amazingly powerful and complex thing. And it seems to seek any number of ways to justify its behavior. Like when you find a $50 bill and keep asking people what they would do until you find someone who would keep it, then you keep it, even if the first 40 said they would give it back.

There may be some credence to his wanting to remove some guilt from the $33k paid by his INS company.

I also think the newpaper going to the family for a quote is spineless. In the near future, I can imagine reporters will be able to carry stun guns which they will be able to use in the event that people they interview don't give them a juicy enough answer.

extremely complicated... <--- Psychologist (studying) Orthomolecular and social. That $50 bit is familiar to my comment about dissonance and the cognitive dissonance theory. And the media is always predatory.

As far as result vs. want... maybe i should have clarified my statement? If feeling of grief and/or dissonance results from the pursuit of such a claim that also adds hardship to the other party already experiencing suffering and pain, then I cannot see why anyone would continue to pursue it. I like the other way I said it. :D

Rock on guys, good debate. Nothing like it to break up the day :D

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cthulhu

If the driver was at no fault, then his auto insurance company should have paid for the repairs on the car, no? Am I missing something here?

I believe that when you are at fault your insurance company pays for damages to your vehicle, the responsible party's insurance company fronts the bill when it is not your fault. I'll be honest in that I'm really not all that sure about this.

I had something else written but after reading it, it didn't make much sense to me. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrybelle

Just how excessive are we talking?

100 mph in 55 mph zone....per the Associated Press. Yes, I would consider that to be excessive!

MADRID — A speeding motorist who killed a teenage cyclist is suing the boy's parents over damage to his luxury car, the government says.

Enaitz Iriondo, 17, died instantly in August 2004 when businessman Tomas Delgado's Audi A8 crashed into him at 100 mph near Haro in northern Spain, an Interior Ministry traffic report said. The speed limit was 55 mph.

Iriondo was not wearing reflective clothing or a helmet, the ministry report said. As the sun had set when he crossed the path of Delgado's car from a side road, a regional court found both parties at fault and closed the case, the report said.

Delgado, whose insurance company paid Iriondo's parents $48,500 in compensation for their son's life, filed a suit in late 2006 to recover $29,400 in damages to his car and car rental costs, the ministry traffic report said.

"It's the only way I have to claim my money back," Delgado was quoted as saying by the newspaper El Pais, which first reported the story on Friday. El Pais said a ruling was expected next week.

Iriondo's parents were shocked.

"It's the final straw, a stab in the back," Iriondo's mother, Rosa Trinidad said, according to El Pais. "Before the lawsuit we thought the poor guy would find it hard to live the rest of his life with the thought of having caused our son's death.

The European Union's statistics office says Spain recorded 113 traffic fatalities per million inhabitants in 2004. The average for the 25-nation bloc was 95. In 2006, 3,016 people died on Spain's roads.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

NickDavid

Well alright, now we have a fact. I now agree the guy is 90% at fault and should be fortunate he's not in jail. Instead of trying to sue for car damages.

Thanks for finding that information.

(anyone for some more xtina?)

C

Cthulhu

100 mph in 55 mph zone....per the Associated Press. Yes, I would consider that to be excessive!

MADRID — A speeding motorist who killed a teenage cyclist is suing the boy's parents over damage to his luxury car, the government says.

Enaitz Iriondo, 17, died instantly in August 2004 when businessman Tomas Delgado's Audi A8 crashed into him at 100 mph near Haro in northern Spain, an Interior Ministry traffic report said. The speed limit was 55 mph.

Iriondo was not wearing reflective clothing or a helmet, the ministry report said. As the sun had set when he crossed the path of Delgado's car from a side road, a regional court found both parties at fault and closed the case, the report said.

Delgado, whose insurance company paid Iriondo's parents $48,500 in compensation for their son's life, filed a suit in late 2006 to recover $29,400 in damages to his car and car rental costs, the ministry traffic report said.

"It's the only way I have to claim my money back," Delgado was quoted as saying by the newspaper El Pais, which first reported the story on Friday. El Pais said a ruling was expected next week.

Iriondo's parents were shocked.

"It's the final straw, a stab in the back," Iriondo's mother, Rosa Trinidad said, according to El Pais. "Before the lawsuit we thought the poor guy would find it hard to live the rest of his life with the thought of having caused our son's death.

The European Union's statistics office says Spain recorded 113 traffic fatalities per million inhabitants in 2004. The average for the 25-nation bloc was 95. In 2006, 3,016 people died on Spain's roads.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thank you for finding that.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
nick, your avatar looks like my buddies fiance.

as for the thread, the guy is scum. period. he kills a kid doing twice the posted limit and wants the family to fix his fawking car?!? the morality governing this guys thought process is severely flawed, and whom ever said that 'if he can afford an A8, he can afford to fix it" is absolutely right. there is no leap of logic there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and whom ever said that 'if he can afford an A8, he can afford to fix it" is absolutely right. there is no leap of logic there.

No, that's still a stupid statement. But the guy obviously has no grounds to stand on if he was doing 100 in a 55 (where's the metric system?)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
What I mean is that he probably he doesn't need the money, why sue? Just leave the poor family alone, he has done enough to hurt the family as it is.

NickDavid

nick, your avatar looks like my buddies fiance.

as for the thread, the guy is scum. period. he kills a kid doing twice the posted limit and wants the family to fix his fawking car?!? the morality governing this guys thought process is severely flawed, and whom ever said that 'if he can afford an A8, he can afford to fix it" is absolutely right. there is no leap of logic there.

Jake, pics of your buddies fiance' or I call b.s.! :hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It still may bite him in the ass:

A local prosecutor told reporters that he would take a second look at the case to see whether authorities can file fresh charges against Delgado.

Not really a good precedent but this is life.

Top Bottom