south mountain

Frank

Sasquatch
The folks at South Mtn. are forging ahead with monthly TM sessions, but the process for legal mtb use is at a slow pace unfortunately. This is something that will require time, patience, and continued support from the mtb community. I wish there was more to say other than we'll be sure to keep you posted on any updates. :eek:

jimjo

no offense

but this is what people have been saying for the last 4-5 years now

seriously when are we going to see something happen

rlb

Nothing will happen until the county officials embrace the idea and take action. The MTB community can only do so much....

Frank

Sasquatch
No offense taken. It is extremely frustrating for us as well. Initially we had to sell the Conservancy on mtb in SoMo and the County Exec. would go with them. Fast forward a few years and we have a different story...not to repeat what was already posted in the past, but that's where we are at. Trying to change the minds of the politicians is a tough task, we as a community must sell ourselves by our actions. The best thing we can do at this point is to continue to support the TM crew and talk with Don Schatz (who is heading the initiative) about the progress.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
no offense

but this is what people have been saying for the last 4-5 years now

seriously when are we going to see something happen

It's actually more like 15 years since it was closed to MTBers. I sure do miss that place.

RootDKJ

It pisses me off that I can't ride in South Mountain or Watchung. I grew up in Maplewood and we used to ride our dirt bikes through there when we were kids. This is before things like trail maintenance and sustainability were even talked about.

I think the odds are in favor that marijuana will be legal before we can ride in both places. I know you folks are doing your best and appreciate it.

jimjo

I think the odds are in favor that marijuana will be legal before we can ride in both places. I know you folks are doing your best and appreciate it.

maybe if they legalize marijuana we will be less anxious about not being able to ride there

"Fast forward a few years and we have a different story...not to repeat what was already posted in the past, but that's where we are at. "

do i understand this to mean that Joe D. has changed his position?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
maybe if they legalize marijuana we will be less anxious about not being able to ride there

"Fast forward a few years and we have a different story...not to repeat what was already posted in the past, but that's where we are at. "

do i understand this to mean that Joe D. has changed his position?

correct, Joe D. promised one of us, face to face, that if "we were able to convince the South Mountain Conservancy to go along with a mountain biking proposal [that's been done], he'd [Joe D.] would go along with that proposal"

I blame the backlash on the deer culling (by the animal rights activists) and Joe's subsequent unwillingness to take on another "controversial issue".

we've busted our asses for 3 years (some for 4-5), and i am very proud of the work that these dedicated locals have done... but he broke his promise. call us suckers, i call us honest, perhaps naive. more here: http://www.njtrailbuilders.com/ and here:
http://www2.jorba.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1215&p=2762

the fight carries on... sorry it didn't happen in '08 like we expected.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Mad props for anyone who can figure out why the above statement is true.

Do you have a secret crush on him? Is he your uncle? Do you have a target drawn on his face and use it for dart practice? Does he owe you money? After reading Mergs post did you print out the picture just to hang it on your wall and post that you had it there? I just did, now I have a picture of him on MY wall!! Even more props to anyone who can figure out why my statement is true.

-Jim.

Last edited:

Laura T

Holy shit! That guy's picture is hanging on my wall in front of me!!!

Mad props for anyone who can figure out why the above statement is true.

That guy's mug was in the newspaper a day or two ago. Maybe you have the newspaper article taped to your wall?

The Essex County Park Calendar (for the month of May) features a picture of an American Bison, and the calendar also feature the obligatory picture of Joey D, the man who makes it all possible... Am I close?

Top Bottom