South Mountain AZ Opinions?

Molasses

Traveling to AZ for work in May and thinking about adding 2 days to ride- I will be next to South Mountain and found a guide for $170 to show me around. Any NJ'ers have experience? I appreciate the $ is alot to hire a friend but seems to be a good idea from a piece of mind standpoint. Also, I wonder if May is too hot for Phoenix. Originally thought Sedona but literally will be at the base of South Mountain and it seems silly to drive for 3 hours if good trails are right there.

Fun place to ride. Trails were easy to follow so you shouldn't need a guide. Ride early if it's going to be HOT.

Take the $170 and rent a car to go to sedona. Will not be disappointed

Can't agree more with this thinking. Although it's been a long time since riding the S. Mountain trails (or any trails within the valley for that matter), I have ridden Sedona recently. It is without a doubt worth the 2 hour drive to spend the day up there. They sell a map that is VERY well put together....no need for a tour guide at all. Trails are very well marked.

When I was going to school out there, we used to leave Tempe at the ass crack of dawn to ski up in Flagstaff until 12pm, then bolt back home to get 18 holes in before collapsing by the pool with many...many beers. Oh..to be young again.

theres shuttles from phx that are $30-45

im gonna be there first 2 weeks of may bikepacking after work also on last weekend of apr. ill be using the shuttle if i cant con my local friend into driving us there lol

Back
Top Bottom