Sourlands Trail Work Session Wed 6/19 6pm-Rescheduled Sat 6/22 9am

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Our 2nd trail day for 2019 will be an after work midweek session, Wed 6/19 at 6pm. Meet at the East Mountain Road lot at 6pm. BYO work gloves, water and bug spray. Tools will be provided. Since this is a midweek session with limited time, we will be working on the lowest trail section (between Marker 12 and the Pipeline), closest to the parking lot to save hiking time. We will be trimming back overgrowth and clearing out some drainage to help reduce the amount of water that section is holding in these wet times.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Bump for Wednesday night! Easy hike and we'll repair one of the heaviest-traveled sections of the park. Who's in?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
trying to make it - i may get over there and trim before then.

is the go-around at the 'gully' going to become the trail? or is that TBD?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
trying to make it - i may get over there and trim before then.

is the go-around at the 'gully' going to become the trail? or is that TBD?
Gully is TBD after Ranger discussion but either way, there will only be 1 way after the TM. If you're trimming, please focus on that section and where i placed the yellow flags because that's where we'll be adding drainage. Would be nice to just dig without bushwacking.

Patrick

Staff member
expelled a couple batteries pruning back the rose whips.

actually being there in the rain was quite enlightening. the water comes down from the trailhead, instead of falling off to the north
into the area where there is a running stream (it empties into the pond)

there are three primary streams that cross the trail after marker 12 towards the pipeline. couple of them spread out, then cross.
as you can imagine, the trail catches the run-off and diverts it to the nearest stream crossing.

the trailhead there is a mess - water just runs down it because of its shape. i think removing one board of the bridge at the entrance, and making a gap to catch the water and throw it into the stream to the north would help outside the trail - the grass approach - but the trail is a mess with the roots.

if i had a vote, i'd move the whole trail uphill 10' - we've done enough damage along that stretch.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I’m with you @Patrick - I feel like the trailhead could be lower on the hill, when looking at the trailhead, down and off to the right, then go up the hill branching off left and right 5/10’ higher in elevation.

I’ve seen those streams in action. Lots of runoff converges there. The roots are the only glue and they are getting really washed out.

Patrick

Staff member
Btw - if it rains is it cancelled?

i think we should go and have a thinking session if it is too bad too do anything.
minimally, we can cut back the rose whips going uphill from marker 12! more roots.

you know we have access to a brush hog, and a walk behind bulldozer!

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Still waiting on a call from the Rangers on today's TM. Will post up here when I hear. Depending how bad the rain is, i could come down anyway to scope it out but driving 45min to get completely muddy and soaked doesn't sound appealing right now. I hear you on the total reroute and maybe something to look at for the future. Unfortunately, only Rangers are allowed to use gas-powered equipment at Sourlands.

Patrick

Staff member
and i just had a calendar snafu - it is my niece/goddaughter's b'day. thought the celebration was on the weekend, but
we are going tonight.
Results: I'm out.
Although i may head over this afternoon for a bit more trimming.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Alright, work happened and i won't realistically be there until 4:15 at this point. I'm going to start at the trailhead and work toward the pipeline, and across it if there's time. My goal is to just get some drainage dug in to get more water off the trail. Probably be there until 6 or 7 unless the rain gets too bad.

Patrick

Staff member
Alright, work happened and i won't realistically be there until 4:15 at this point. I'm going to start at the trailhead and work toward the pipeline, and across it if there's time. My goal is to just get some drainage dug in to get more water off the trail. Probably be there until 6 or 7 unless the rain gets too bad.

that first wooden bridge at the trailhead was probably over a small stream that has since been filled in - probably a big gain to be had in drying the run-up to the trailhead.

there are some logs that could be moved also. Thanks for getting out there. I'm not going to make it over.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Got most of the drainage roughed in and used the dug out dirt to raise the trail tread in the soggy spots. It's quicksand right now but will hopefully solidify. Thanks to Mike for meeting me on the tail end. Got a couple downpours so we saw the streams in action.
20190619_180449.jpg
20190619_175002.jpg
20190619_174709.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
nice!

the dirt is a very interesting consistency there - it does seem like it would harden when dried...
will try to keep it rolling.

do we have a couple of those jorba signs to put up while we are working - not that anyone goes by in the rain.....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions