Sourlands Trail Work Session Saturday 12/8 9am

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Somerset County has the next trail day scheduled for Saturday 12/8. Meet at the East Mountain Road lot at 9am. BYO work gloves, water and bug spray and be prepared to hike (or ride) up to the work site. Tools will be provided. Project will be (hopefully) completing the small trail reroute at Marker 6, creating a couple switchbacks. We will be benchcutting into a hill - a rare occurrence at Sourlands! Come on out and swing some picks/McLeods with us!

rick81721

Lothar
No error - I wear that crap year-round. Ticks scare the crap out of me.
I'm confused by you Rick, it's winter and you're NOT in Florida? I think you're doing the snow bird thing wrong. :p

Foolishly here for the holidays, head back to FL Jan 5.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I was almost able to ride the reroute as-is today, but it'll be much nicer after benchcutting. Preview of the big switchback to be built.
From behind the switchback, looking downhill. Railroad ties will be used to form a small retaining wall and be back-filled to make a "platform" for the turn:
20181122_105428.jpg

On the reroute trail to be benchcut, looking uphill at the switchback:
20181122_105556.jpg

snashters

Photos don't do this justice, those switchbacks are tight & steep. It will be a tough climb, is this going to be a downhill only trail? Asking for a friend:).

phillychris498

I’d love to help out one day soon, but I won’t be around NJ until after December 19th. I’ll keep my eyes out for a trail day sometime in December/January. If the switchback is already built, Id like to take a day to clear up the alt lines on Tres Amigos and Boulderama, as well as making the lines on Chunky Monkey more clear.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Photos don't do this justice, those switchbacks are tight & steep. It will be a tough climb, is this going to be a downhill only trail? Asking for a friend:).
Switchbacks will be better than the straight fall line section they're replacing. It's downhill only if you choose to ride it that way!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I’d love to help out one day soon, but I won’t be around NJ until after December 19th. I’ll keep my eyes out for a trail day sometime in December/January. If the switchback is already built, Id like to take a day to clear up the alt lines on Tres Amigos and Boulderama, as well as making the lines on Chunky Monkey more clear.
This 12/8 day will be the last official trail day with the Park Rangers until the Spring. Feel free to clear lines whenever though and i'll post up when i'm heading up there to do some work over the winter. It's funny, i walked 3 Amigos with a rake just a few weeks ago and cleared all the alt lines and now, you can't even tell i did that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
not sure yet - think the spouse has it trumped.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Welp, looks like a small group. We'll see what we can get done. Dress warm tomorrow!

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
got pulled for other duties.
Good luck out there - hopefully i'll get a frozen morning ride in very soon.
let me (and Dave, and Rick) know if there is any freelance work to be done.

View attachment 82238

cause i like wreck it ralph - reminds me of @Big Dumb Animal ;) - i kinda think the size difference with vanellope is about
the same as @Commissioner Rankings of Make Believe ......
Funny part is my wife calls me wreck it Ralph every time I break something.. and that happens more then I want to admit.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
We were a small but mighty group today. Me, Ranger Dave and @snashters put in a yeoman's effort. Section is not finished but we got 2 huge switchbacks with retaining walls built, as well as the bench cut section in between them and they are rideable. Next County TM day will be in April. Thanks to all who pitched in to this awesome park in 2018. See you in 2019!

BEFORE: From behind the top switchback, looking downhill.
20181122_105428-jpg.81368

AFTER:
20181208_120437.jpg

BEFORE: On the reroute trail to be benchcut, looking uphill at the top switchback:
20181122_105556-jpg.81369

AFTER:
20181208_120507.jpg

2nd Switchback in progress:
20181208_121708.jpg

Looking uphill at benchcut section between switchbacks:
20181208_121713.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
We were a small but mighty group today. Me, Ranger Dave and @snashters put in a yeoman's effort. Section is not finished but we got 2 huge switchbacks with retaining walls built, as well as the bench cut section in between them and they are rideable. Next County TM day will be in April. Thanks to all who pitched in to this awesome park in 2018. See you in 2019!

BEFORE: From behind the top switchback, looking downhill.
20181122_105428-jpg.81368

AFTER:
View attachment 82304

BEFORE: On the reroute trail to be benchcut, looking uphill at the top switchback:
20181122_105556-jpg.81369

AFTER:
View attachment 82305

2nd Switchback in progress:
View attachment 82307

Looking uphill at benchcut section between switchbacks:
View attachment 82308

Nice work! How much mud on the lower trails?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions