Sourlands Trail build session Sat 11/4

J-Dro

I'll be there. Spreading the word to friends of mine who ride there too - hopefully they can join and do some payback. Fun trail so far, hard as f**, but it'll get better as it wears in.

Great thanks. Yeah this trail is shaping up to be quite a beast. If you clean the whole thing end to end, you're having a really good day. But yes, it will get a little less 'raw' as it wears in. Once we have the trail roughed out, we can go back and tweak some of the sections that don't flow right. Even little things like scraping moss off the rocks can make a big difference.

rick81721

Lothar
Sorry I'm out - wifey decided since the weather will be good to do a garage sale to get rid of more junk from our house

blackburn1973

Hoping I can make it but may be a game time decision. Would LOVE to get that trail finished off. Become a bit of a White Whale.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'll also be there for an hour+ can't stretch it too much longer.

Patrick

Staff member
i'll also be there for an hour+ can't stretch it too much longer.

well that worked out - should have known better than to think hey, i'm doing ok. 50' later punctured the sidewall - it tried to seal a couple times.
when i finally went to put in a tube, the co2 wouldn't seal to the inflator, and it blew out all over the place. i carried the bike down from devil's half acre....
yeah, i was just going to walk to the pipeline and throw it in the back of the truck, but i was hypoxic and made a wrong turn, twice - cause it would have been closer to just walk
down from where i was (on the climb to the first boulder field.)

next time.

Last edited:

J-Dro

We had a good turnout today, despite Pat's #fail. :oops: The trail is officially open end-to-end. We still have a small bridge to build, and a bit of chainsaw work to do, but it's open to ride/hike. We'll also be blazing the trail soon once I work out the details with Somerset county.

And it has a name... Chunky Monkey. Credit for the trail name goes to @gmb3. (Runner up name was "Ego Crusher" hah).

Thanks today to George, Mike S, Mike W, Ryan, Mark, and a few hikers who weren't quite sure what they signed up for but contributed wholeheartedly. And thanks to everyone who helped make this happen over the past year.

blackburn1973

This is BOMB. Props to all who were there to complete. Disappointed I couldn't make it but can't wait to ride the finished product. Great job, all!

J-Dro

We could use some wire brushing or even putty knife scraping the moss on a few of the boulders. So if anyone is in the area... Just sayin'. :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Rode the new trail last night. It's tough, but super cool. Nice work.

I can't say I recommend it when it's wet.

J-Dro

This Saturday 11/4 will be the last TM day for the year. We will be doing some fine tuning to the new trail - Chunky Monkey.

Meet at 9am in the East Mountain Road lot. Bring work gloves, all tools will be supplied.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Any chance of getting the bridge put in or that giant hole filled by the bouldering rock?

Patrick

Staff member
have out-of-state visitors - i'd bring them, but it wouldn't help.....

thanks for getting out there.

J-Dro

Any chance of getting the bridge put in or that giant hole filled by the bouldering rock?

Giant hole? What giant hole?

MVIMG_20171104_120831.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions