Sourlands - New trail build Sat 8/27

J-Dro

We're going to start building a new trail at Sourlands this Saturday 8/27 at 9am <commence cheering>.
The trail will branch off of 3-Amigos (red trail) and head down towards Roaring Rocks. This is some really fun terrain up here, and will allow for some loops after climbing to the top.

We're going to build this in sections with the goal of completing the trail this fall.

Meet up in the East Mountain Road lot around 9am. The work site is all the way up the hill, so plan to hike or bike up there. Bring work gloves and something to keep hydrated.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, super awesome to hear! I'll be in another country but I love that new trails are going in!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i gotta check with my better half to see if there were any plans already made, so i'm 50/50 right now. hope i can make it.

rick81721

Lothar
A shot? Not sure what that means, but all tools will be supplied so no need to worry about that.

Where exactly are you going to start, at the end of that bouldering trail? I was thinking of trying to get a pre-ride in, would be ridiculous to go all the way down and then hike or bike back up again. Can I meet you guys there?

thegock

Great so you guys would be there ~ 9:20-9:30 then? Maybe I'll try to do a little bouldering too :rolleyes:

Rick,

Please TM me your cell #. Lost it in a phone crap out. I am going to try to be there tomorrow and want to talk to u if I get lost.

Tom

J-Dro

@J-Dro -how'd the trail build go?
Sorry, I'm late on the recap. I was preoccupied with prep for an enduro race on Sunday, sooo...

The trail build went great. Thanks to Steve, Mike, Rick, Tom and of course Ranger Chris. We completed the goal for the day which is about 25% of the whole trail. The section we tackled is probably the most difficult section since it needed some armoring through wet spots, and that can't be rushed. Proper armoring is like completing a jigsaw puzzle.

But I'm really stoked to open up this section of the park. Some really fun terrain is hidden up there. The next trail build session is Sep 17, for anyone who wants to help out. We're shooting to complete the whole trail before winter sets in.

rick81721

Lothar
I would be remiss in telling the story of how @thegock and I were late for this. We met in the parking lot ~ 8:15 to get about an hour ride in before the trail building session was starting. Tom has only been there a few times and doesn't know the trails. We run into @fidodie, @clarkenstein and @michael.su just finishing up their ride at marker 8. We continue on up the mountain to hit the red trail. Tom had some tire pressure issues so we stopped a few times to pump up. Close to the pipeline, it was almost 9:30 so figured we'd join the group. Based on where we were, I thought we'd have to back-track a little to find the bouldering trail that will become the new loop. We get to a point where I'm pretty sure we passed it, so we turn around and go back. The trail is an off-shoot to the left that is usually marked with flags. We get to pretty much the same point where we started, can't find it. Turn around and head back the other way. Still no trail. We go even further and I'm sure we missed it again. By now it's almost 10, and Tom thinks we are hopelessly lost. I assure him I have (literally) been in this park 100+ times in the last few years, and know where we are, just not where this new offshoot trail is. Tom doesn't seem to be buying it and checks this site to see if there is more info. We see a few hikers and ask if they saw anyone with tools - only the ranger 4x4 parked on the pipeline. I finally scroll through my strava files to see the last time I went down that trail - find it around a year ago and see exactly where it is, and compare to where we are on the gps map. Gotta turn around and head towards the pipeline again. Following the gps map, I finally locate it - not only were the flags down except for one flattened near the ground, some clown drug a large tree branch across the entrance to the trail. Anywho, we finally heard voices and met the rest of the team. After the TM session, I told Tom I'd take him on a full tour of the place soon. He just shook his head and said "I'll bring signal flares". Something tells me he's not going back, at least with me :shrug:

thegock

I would be remiss in telling the story of how @thegock and I were late for this. We met in the parking lot ~ 8:15 to get about an hour ride in before the trail building session was starting. Tom has only been there a few times and doesn't know the trails. We run into @fidodie, @clarkenstein and @michael.su just finishing up their ride at marker 8. We continue on up the mountain to hit the red trail. Tom had some tire pressure issues so we stopped a few times to pump up. Close to the pipeline, it was almost 9:30 so figured we'd join the group. Based on where we were, I thought we'd have to back-track a little to find the bouldering trail that will become the new loop. We get to a point where I'm pretty sure we passed it, so we turn around and go back. The trail is an off-shoot to the left that is usually marked with flags. We get to pretty much the same point where we started, can't find it. Turn around and head back the other way. Still no trail. We go even further and I'm sure we missed it again. By now it's almost 10, and Tom thinks we are hopelessly lost. I assure him I have (literally) been in this park 100+ times in the last few years, and know where we are, just not where this new offshoot trail is. Tom doesn't seem to be buying it and checks this site to see if there is more info. We see a few hikers and ask if they saw anyone with tools - only the ranger 4x4 parked on the pipeline. I finally scroll through my strava files to see the last time I went down that trail - find it around a year ago and see exactly where it is, and compare to where we are on the gps map. Gotta turn around and head towards the pipeline again. Following the gps map, I finally locate it - not only were the flags down except for one flattened near the ground, some clown drug a large tree branch across the entrance to the trail. Anywho, we finally heard voices and met the rest of the team. After the TM session, I told Tom I'd take him on a full tour of the place soon. He just shook his head and said "I'll bring signal flares". Something tells me he's not going back, at least with me :shrug:

Thanks for the tour, Rick. You choose really good lines.

I was fully confident at all times in your navigation abilities.

Turns out I can't get that tour on the next TM day. That is scheduled for 9/17/16 according to Jeff above and I am riding in NY that day.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions