Sourlands - New trail build Pt.2 - Sat 9/17

J-Dro

We are going to continue working on the new trail up in the higher elevations of the Sourland Mountain Preserve this Saturday 9/17 at 9am. The work area will be near Roaring Rocks, so plan to hike or bike up there. As always, tools are provided, but bring work gloves.

The goal is to have the trail completed by the time the cold weather sets in. Depending on the size of the crew, we should need 1 or 2 additional build sessions.
Thanks!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I am 50/50. I may be able to do an early shift for a couple hours then have to bolt early again.

blackburn1973

There's a chance I may make it. If so, are we talking that trail start off 3 Amigos that leads out to a big bouldering rock or further down toward Roaring Rocks? Would plan to meet you all there after a ride.

J-Dro

@rick81721 & @blackburn1973 Rick we aren't picking up where we left off last time. We're going to be working from the other end of the trail this week. So, if you pick up 3-Amigos near Roaring Rocks, just as the climb starts to level off, that's the area we will start working from.

FitmanNJ

I have one appointment in the morning, so I can't make it by 9AM, but will do my best to be at the worksite by 10:15 or 10:30. I'm assuming that I can walk the "right-most" trail from the parking lot up to the Rolling Rock area, then look for the new trail as the climb levels off. Are there flags marking the work that I could spot?

J-Dro

IMG_20160917_111706302.jpg
IMG_20160917_111627419.jpg
We made some great progress today on the new trail. This is shaping up to be another techy classic. A couple of pics from where we navigate through a boulder field. Thanks to Bob, Mike S, Mike W, Steve and Rick for helping out today.

Next trail build day is Sat 10/22.

FitmanNJ

I spent well over an hour trying to walk up to the top of the park and find the worksite, thinking it was where I described in my previous note. When I was able to look at the park map on my phone and discovered that the named boulder field is in the south and not the north end of the park, it was too late. Posting a map identifying the worksite would eliminate this ambiguity as some volunteers may get the names of trails and locations confused.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ok - i'm blanking on the dog's name. one of the best trail dogs in the business.

@FitmanNJ - a dropped pin is a good suggestion. Rick and Tom got turned around last time.

Last edited:

J-Dro

4 of the volunteers rode their bikes and left them sitting on 3-Amigos where the work site was. I thought that would be a strong clue. Sorry about the confusion.

J-Dro

wish I was in NJ to help out with another sourlands beauty. When does it look like it'll be done?

I'm expecting at least 2 more build sessions before it's complete. It's a pretty ambitious project... definitely not a rake and ride. Next build session is 10/22. We'll have another in Nov and even Dec if necessary. Hope you make it back to NJ soon Chris.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions