Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
yeah wow, i posted about that tree back on 12/7/19 and nobody has taken care of it yet. Shows how much use Chunky gets lol. Thanks for offering @clarkenstein, it would be appreciated.

goes to show how long it’s been since I have ridden there! The last time I was there the ground was frozen so clearing leaves became pretty much impossible.

snashters

Got out for a ride this afternoon, it was the first time at Sourlands for a while.
The parking lot was overflowing, I’ve never seen so many cars there, and even the trails on the left side of the pipeline were busy with hikers. As usual, the blue trail was the quietest.
The lower trails were still a little muddy in the usual places, but overall the riding was good. I armored a section and cleared a downed tree on blue near the wooden bridge. The armoring could be improved but my back didn’t want to play nice with the bigger rocks today.

phillychris498

Got out for a ride this afternoon, it was the first time at Sourlands for a while.
The parking lot was overflowing, I’ve never seen so many cars there, and even the trails on the left side of the pipeline were busy with hikers. As usual, the blue trail was the quietest.
The lower trails were still a little muddy in the usual places, but overall the riding was good. I armored a section and cleared a downed tree on blue near the wooden bridge. The armoring could be improved but my back didn’t want to play nice with the bigger rocks today.
I’m 50/50 on visiting tomorrow late afternoon, hopefully crowds won’t be as bad then. The crowds of hikers going “ooo, ahhh!!!” At simple maneuvers over rocks makes you feel like a rockstar though.

phillychris498

Fun times at Sourlands yesterday, managed to clear the troll bridge in both directions for the first time on one ride despite my slow times.

I rode the white triangle trail up the crossover trail to marker four, so I can’t speak much about conditions on lower lying trails, but the stuff up top was pretty prime. There’s one rock-armored section of tres amigos that’s normally very wet, and yesterday was only a little soft. In addition, the top of Chunky Monkey is still very wet, I’d advise avoiding it for a while longer.

Sadly, there are a ton of ride-arounds that have formed throughout the entirety of the park. They should probably be referred to as “hike arounds” as it’s obviously from hikers that don’t want to step on rocks. I actually lost the trail a few times on goat ridge and chunky monkey following these cut throughs.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Fun times at Sourlands yesterday, managed to clear the troll bridge in both directions for the first time on one ride despite my slow times.

I rode the white triangle trail up the crossover trail to marker four, so I can’t speak much about conditions on lower lying trails, but the stuff up top was pretty prime. There’s one rock-armored section of tres amigos that’s normally very wet, and yesterday was only a little soft. In addition, the top of Chunky Monkey is still very wet, I’d advise avoiding it for a while longer.

Sadly, there are a ton of ride-arounds that have formed throughout the entirety of the park. They should probably be referred to as “hike arounds” as it’s obviously from hikers that don’t want to step on rocks. I actually lost the trail a few times on goat ridge and chunky monkey following these cut throughs.

I mentioned to a hiker that i ride those rocks, she said she stays on the trail because 'leave no trace' - :shrug:

phillychris498

Forgot to mention, the end of the boulderama trail downhill at the very end of the ride has widened out to be 6-10 feet wide in spots, and has a big wet spot at the end.

Patrick

Staff member
Forgot to mention, the end of the boulderama trail downhill at the very end of the ride has widened out to be 6-10 feet wide in spots, and has a big wet spot at the end.

drop a pin please! i have an idea you mean the couple turns before the trail which runs along the stream with wooden bridge with railing?

Last edited:

phillychris498

drop a pin please! i have an idea you mean the couple turns before the trail which runs along the stream with wooden bridge with railing?
Yup, right at that spot. It's after the boulderama descent makes a hard left turn and beelines down the hill. The worst spot is right before that gravel-pile jump, but that entire section of trail has become much wider.
Sourlands wet spot.png

Robin

Got out early for a hike. Lower trails are a muddy mess, some areas have flowing water. Will update Trailforks.

Finished with lots of hikers out. Parking lot jammed.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
yeah, for social distancing purposes, i'd avoid Sourlands for a while unless it's super early or super late. It's always busy on weekends and now every day will be like that probably.

jklett

Lower trails were still wet in the usual spots but otherwise great. I didn't hit blue, pretty much just looped red to the pipeline and bombed down. There were only 4 cars in the lot today, didn't see another soul until I got back.

Edit: I forgot to mention there's a big tree across white. I don't 100% remember if it was before or after you cross the pipeline though, I have to figure out how to mark waypoints on my garmin.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Lower trails were still wet in the usual spots but otherwise great. I didn't hit blue, pretty much just looped red to the pipeline and bombed down. There were only 4 cars in the lot today, didn't see another soul until I got back.
Any trees down or anything else need attention?

jklett

Any trees down or anything else need attention?
I edited my post, there was one big one on white that needs a chainsaw. There were a few smaller ones on red but nothing big enough or in a bad spot to worry about.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I edited my post, there was one big one on white that needs a chainsaw. There were a few smaller ones on red but nothing big enough or in a bad spot to worry about.
Thanks, i just emailed the Rangers. ? Locals, please keep me posted because I don't know when I'm gonna get back down there.

Kangdoy

Does Sourlands drain well? Was thinking of heading up there early Sunday morning. Looks like rain just for Friday all day.

Patrick

Staff member

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions