Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

phillychris498

Saw this at the store and couldn’t resist, mostly because I miss the sourlands. How are conditions? I’m gonna try to go ride on Saturday morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 110

JPark

Saw this at the store and couldn’t resist, mostly because I miss the sourlands. How are conditions? I’m gonna try to go ride on Saturday morning.
I was there on Tuesday. Conditions were good enough that I didn't need to clean my bike after. Some squishy spots at the bottom but the upper 2/3 of the mountain was very dry.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I did a loop on the far side of the pipeline (except for blue, I'm not quite there yet) and conditions were pretty much perfect. I'm going back tomorrow morning and this time I'm not bringing the 40# downhill bike.

any spots need leaf clearing? Was going to head up one more time.

rick81721

Lothar
Not sure how much of chunky I cleared, but I ran out of battery. I will start from the other side and finish it off after the storm.

Edit - actually the little tail is what I cleared.
View attachment 112162

It looked like much of the white trail, and even the lower C, was leaf blown. I thought you did it all! That short cut on the last zigzag on new shoes seems to be permanent- dang hikers

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
It looked like much of the white trail, and even the lower C, was leaf blown. I thought you did it all! That short cut on the last zigzag on new shoes seems to be permanent- dang hikers
So many hiker shortcuts everywhere. A year or 2 ago now, one by Devil's Half Acre got so bad the Rangers actually re-routed the trail to follow the shortcut with signs and all and cut out like 1/8 mile of trail. At one TM this summer we drug like 2 whole fallen trees plus a crap ton of long branches to close a very stupid minor shortcut down, and it was completely clear the next time i went out. I don't get it but it's pointless to keep trying to stop it so i gave up.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Thinking about a Saturday 9-9:30 wheels down ride. 20s tonight and mid 30s tomorrow so should be ok. What's the snow cover situation down there though?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thinking about a Saturday 9-9:30 wheels down ride. 20s tonight and mid 30s tomorrow so should be ok. What's the snow cover situation down there though?

spotty snow cover - if i can, i'll take a ride over today, and report back.
I'm betting that the roaring brook is doing its thing.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
spotty snow cover - if i can, i'll take a ride over today, and report back.
I'm betting that the roaring brook is doing its thing.
Yes, i'm assuming it got less snow than me up north and major melt today so minimal snow tomorrow, if any.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rolled out late, close to 10 today and everything was surprisingly solid. All the snow is gone. Lower trails were starting to thaw but my tires stayed clean. Only rode the first half of blue because @clarkenstein said 2nd half would be wet. There's a tree across Blue right downhill of the Whale Rock if anyone wants to get it - hand saw would work. Someone rolled in to the parking lot with a Santa Cruz as I was leaving. Not sure if the lower trails were good for him.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions