Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That kicker could easily launch you 30+ feet. I hit it today but sucked it up and still went pretty far.

you crushed the sourlands today! pipeline is fast with the good sight lines.
really nice job on chunky monkey. 1st time ??

heading over now to take care of one of the bad mud puddle in maple flats.

Patrick

Staff member
this is the worst spot. it is on maple flats -
going to need some shovel work - the direction the water would flow off the trail (right side of pic) was blocked by a cedar, and a large cut log.
On the high side, a downed cedar was concentrating the water between some roots. The logs are cleared, but it is a bowl holding water.

IMG_3872.JPG

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
this is the worst spot. it is on maple flats -
going to need some shovel work - the direction the water would flow off the trail (right side of pic) was blocked by a cedar, and a large cut log.
On the high side, a downed cedar was concentrating the water between some roots. The logs are cleared, but it is a bowl holding water.
Thanks. We'll try to get to that spot Sunday.

rick81721

Lothar
Primo conditions today but sadly heavy rain coming tonight.

And unlike last year, this year's berry crop is a disappointment. Even worse, the pipeline workers destroyed my secret patch of wine berries and blackberries - booo!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Hoping to get down there at some point between Friday evening and Sun morning to check on things after the storms rolled through. If anyone is there before me, please report on conditions, especially trees down and i will pass along to Rangers. They've been very responsive to my emails.

rick81721

Lothar
Hoping to get down there at some point between Friday evening and Sun morning to check on things after the storms rolled through. If anyone is there before me, please report on conditions, especially trees down and i will pass along to Rangers. They've been very responsive to my emails.

It will be a mess for awhile. We got shellacked with rain

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Warm, dry sunny days now through the weekend and new drainage work on the lower trails. I'm hopeful for decent weekend conditions.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
A little mud here and there on the lower trails tonight but overall fine. Good to go for weekend fun. I did some finishing work on the drains from the last 2 TMs and added a bunch more between Marker 11 and Marker 9. One more TM ride like i did tonight or an actual Ranger TM and i think we can finish all the lower trail drainage work that's needed. :thumbsup: Also cut out a small elevated log that must have fallen recently up by Marker 8. Of course the 2 spots we blocked off were both opened back up again. I really don't get it. Theses 2 spots are not time savers and they're both muddy whereas the new route is dry. Do people think they're "helping" by removing "deadfall"? :shrug:

rick81721

Lothar
A little mud here and there on the lower trails tonight but overall fine. Good to go for weekend fun. I did some finishing work on the drains from the last 2 TMs and added a bunch more between Marker 11 and Marker 9. One more TM ride like i did tonight or an actual Ranger TM and i think we can finish all the lower trail drainage work that's needed. :thumbsup: Also cut out a small elevated log that must have fallen recently up by Marker 8. Of course the 2 spots we blocked off were both opened back up again. I really don't get it. Theses 2 spots are not time savers and they're both muddy whereas the new route is dry. Do people think they're "helping" by removing "deadfall"? :shrug:

Today even chunky monkey has dried out - doesn't get any better. Still needs more markers, it is hard to follow. If someone has some extra blue markers I'd slap more up.

Patrick

Staff member
Today even chunky monkey has dried out - doesn't get any better. Still needs more markers, it is hard to follow. If someone has some extra blue markers I'd slap more up.

maybe even some small paint markings on some of the rocks.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
maybe even some small paint markings on some of the rocks.
There are a few random blue spray paint marking on rocks along the trail, plus some home-made blue plastic circles nailed to trees (besides the official Somerset County ones). I have no idea who put those up (and neither do the Rangers but they didn't mind them). Either of those methods would be fine, just don't over do it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions