Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Same to report as Rick - lots of mud and water in the flats. Go-arounds are developing.

there are muddy spots up on roaring brook/red to the pipeline. didn't even think about chunky monkey.

on the good side - bombing down the pipeline where they are working is awesome! it has been rolled flat,
and there are construction plates over the wet spots. the lower gate is open. there is even a kicker with
a nice run-out - i didn't hit it because they were working right there (and i might have been scared)

IMG_3609.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
there is a deadfall trunk across the trail between marker 4 and 5 on the map - it is closer to 4.
it could probably be moved with a cant hook.

Patrick

Staff member
@gmb3 -

there is a deadfall trunk across the connector between 8 & 9 - 100' before the 4-way intersection.
Needs a chainsaw.

There is also a significant size deadfall across the connector between marker 4 and 5.

There is a tree-top across the trail on the connector just before the fence-line. Silky-sawable.
hy-phen. should have a hyphen in it.

The trail-work we put is in starting to dry - still plenty of water.

From the 4-way, up the connector, red trail (roaring brook) across the pipeline,
down the old trail, is fine. as is the trail up the middle - up from marker 2 -

the biggest problem is the do-gooders who have been putting sticks/logs along the trail -
if they put them long-way on the low side, they get stomped in and create a dam. If they do it on the high-side, water gets
directed around them, where it usually doesn't flow, then runs down the trail..... If they put them across the
trail, they float downstream a bit in the next storm, get stuck, and create a dam. We saw some of this in the area we
were working the other day. Now some is from roots, so we'll need to address that.

Anyway, did some removal, and nicking along maple flats. Threw all the logs in the woods.

some of the recent fall has also redirected water - could use some quick shovel work to get it to drain off
the trail, rather than run down it to the old exit.

in this pic, there was a log near the bike, and it prevented the water from leaving the area.
the root in the foreground meant all the water redirected from the uphill log, was channeled right into that area.

IMG_3681.JPG

in this one, there were logs stuck in the exit, and another longway to spread it out. there is a stream coming off the mountain in
the front right - behind the stick (which is now gone), and it was making a reservoir.
IMG_3682.JPG

cut in a channel, hopefully enough for it to drain. thing is, i think this area is armored under the mud.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for all the intel @Patrick. I will alert the rangers about the logs. To anyone else riding or hiking Sourlands, feel free to do what Pat did: Remove the (damn) dam sticks/logs blocking the water flow and make nicks in the low side so water drains off trail. I think these lower trail issues have always been there, just accentuated by the crazy rain we've been having. I will try to address some before the 7/14 TM but we may need to focus that one on this issue.

rick81721

Lothar
Just got back - bottom still has many mud spots but rapidly drying out - top is primo. No trail blockages - there is one tree top down on red but it doesn't hamper flow.

To be honest, didn't see much improvement in the section between markers 12 and 11. One of the worst mud holes is still there and not draining.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Gave it a shot tonight and glad I did. Rocks and roots were sweaty and a couple mud spots on the lower trails but overall fine. Have at it. Lower trails past the pipeline can really use a haircut if anyone is willing before the 7/14 TM.

Work we just did on the lower trail is settling in and starting to do its job. If riding, please ride over the lumpy parts of the new dirt to help tamp it down evenly, don't ride in the center groove already formed. May need to tweak further at next TM but we'll see. The gully reroute blockage was already removed so I put it back. This may be an ongoing battle. Next TM we will address a few more muddy sections past the pipeline.

Chunky Monkey was amazingly free of standing water and only slightly muddy in a couple spots. Spent some time clearing debris and repositioning rocks on it so it's primo right now. The rock armoring we did 2 TMs ago is awesome and I cleaned it first try in uphill direction. Very happy with that.

Marker 6 switchback reroute from last fall is holding up really well and the pipeline is super fun to bomb down now that the lower half has been smoothed and cleared by the machines. 12th all time on that segment tonight but I WILL break in to the top ten next time! I'm coming for ya, @rick81721!

Last edited:

phillychris498

Rode Sourlands for the first time in 2019 today before the projected thunderstorms.. the lower trails are the driest I’ve seen them since I first started riding here. The top trails had dirt that was nice and tacky, and chunky monkey was very followable, kudos to @gmb3 for working on that.

On Tres Amigos, the A-lines are slowly but surely disappearing. Moss is taking over the rollers to the point that I was sliding out trying to climb up rollers and without knowing the system well you wouldn’t know the lines existed. Once I’m back in NJ in August I’d like to take a day and clear up all of these lines to get people to keep riding them.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rode Sourlands for the first time in 2019 today before the projected thunderstorms.. the lower trails are the driest I’ve seen them since I first started riding here. The top trails had dirt that was nice and tacky, and chunky monkey was very followable, kudos to @gmb3 for working on that.

On Tres Amigos, the A-lines are slowly but surely disappearing. Moss is taking over the rollers to the point that I was sliding out trying to climb up rollers and without knowing the system well you wouldn’t know the lines existed. Once I’m back in NJ in August I’d like to take a day and clear up all of these lines to get people to keep riding them.
...you shoulda seen the lower trails before the past few weeks - wettest i've ever seen them but our work and mother nature finally started helping.
3 Amigos/Roaring Rocks cleanup is next on my non-Ranger to-do list and then south of Pipeline will be complete. Then I will move to north side of Pipeline. Was going to do 3 Amigos Wed night but ran out of time/energy by the time I finished Chunky. Trying to get as much as I can done before the group ride(s) in early Aug. If anyone wants to scrape moss off boulder lines, wire brushes work well but so do rocks if you don't wanna carry anything. And everyone please come help at our next official TM 7/14!

Patrick

Staff member
The trees reported last week are now cleared! Big thanks to the ranger crew there.

The stick removal project along maple flats is having positive results. still some mud holes, and still some places where sticks
are damming up the water on the trail - will try to get out and remove them. Couple places need to some shovel work, so next time it rains, it
will drain off the trail.

Maple flats from the 4-way to the fence line is now dry. As is chunky monkey.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Same to report as Rick - lots of mud and water in the flats. Go-arounds are developing.

there are muddy spots up on roaring brook/red to the pipeline. didn't even think about chunky monkey.

on the good side - bombing down the pipeline where they are working is awesome! it has been rolled flat,
and there are construction plates over the wet spots. the lower gate is open. there is even a kicker with
a nice run-out - i didn't hit it because they were working right there (and i might have been scared)

View attachment 97542
That kicker could easily launch you 30+ feet. I hit it today but sucked it up and still went pretty far.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions