Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Lower trails were a mess of frozen footprints this morning (no tire marks at all:thumbsup:) Upper trails smoother and dryer but still some ice puddles scattered around. Ride early when frozen and you should be good, just be careful with the ice.

Mountain Bike Mike

Bump - looking ahead at the forecast for the rest of the week with the thought of bringing the NICA team to SL this Saturday afternoon... is it possible it will be frozen and ok to ride?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Based on the deep freeze we're getting, it should stay frozen, minus a few spots on the lower trails maybe. Better to start late morning before the bottom softens. There will be a lot of ice and frozen footprints to contend with though. SL is hard enough without ice. Not sure you wanna subject the kids to that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Did a loop today - up the right side out of the parking lot then left across the bridge towards maple flats.
plenty of snow, lots of footsteps, and a frozen bottom (trail bed, please)

water running at the stream crossings on the way to the 4-way (marker 9?) and a nice dense snow with footprints.
lots of work, but traction was fine. Hitting the 4-way, i took the connector trail to the fence. snow was deeper here,
and anything more than a couple % uphill was difficult. Was off the bike a few times.

up new shoes, to the cairn, and up roaring brook - the steeps were def HAB. but again, snow, not mud.
walked up the roaring brook side of 3 amigos, and hit the red - if it was flat, it was rideable. Plenty of dense snow.
if a few people went through, it would make a huge difference.

coming back down, the old trail was a mix of running water, and snow. the water was where it was expected, just more of it.
coming back down to the fence on 3 amigos->roaring brook, flow down. took the lower trail of maple flats - bad idea. it was a swamp.
would have been frozen earlier, but it was pushing 3pm, and over 30F. Stay away from there, wouldn't be any fun with all the frozen footprints
and ice anyway.

pipeline was crappy - lots of mud

in all, i'd say it will be ok the next couple of mornings, after the evening cold. it was a ton of work breaking trail,
so go ride it in. maybe we can get a couple of cold weeks out of it.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
And most will be concrete all day Thursday and Friday morning. @Magic snow
Cold doesn’t necessarily mean magic snow. Baldpate, which has a similar elevation to the sourlands, had untouched areas with around 4” this morning. Not even remotely magic snow as it was pretty much powder. Even the lower stuff that wasn’t really wet/frozen, still getting that little bit of dig in. Rip @Magic

thegock

Cold doesn’t necessarily mean magic snow. Baldpate, which has a similar elevation to the sourlands, had untouched areas with around 4” this morning. Not even remotely magic snow as it was pretty much powder. Even the lower stuff that wasn’t really wet/frozen, still getting that little bit of dig in. Rip @Magic

"Check, check, yo, I know something you don't know
And I've got something to tell ya
You won't believe how many people straight doubted the flow
Most said that I was a failure
But now the same motherfuckers asking me for dough
And I'm yelling: "I can't help ya"
"But Nelly can we get tickets to the next show?"
Hell no (what's witchyou?!) you for real?!"

I was just, like, riffing on @Magic

rockgardenworld should be bone by Thursday morning.

#getsome

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
"Check, check, yo, I know something you don't know
And I've got something to tell ya
You won't believe how many people straight doubted the flow
Most said that I was a failure
But now the same motherfuckers asking me for dough
And I'm yelling: "I can't help ya"
"But Nelly can we get tickets to the next show?"
Hell no (what's witchyou?!) you for real?!"

I was just, like, riffing on @Magic

rockgardenworld should be bone by Thursday morning.

#getsome
giphy.gif

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I think you are going to find a swamp. Lots of snow there last week with plenty of running water. I suspect that it is very soft.

agree - it's gonna be a mess. some climbers went the other day and its wet. there's still some snow, but with these temps it'll be no good.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hopefully it dries out unlike year

yeah - like 3 days. unreal.
i guess it needs to balance out - think of RV and how low the water was for so long. sucker is full now (of course they have to pump water in, but that is besides the point...)
spruce run is naturally fed (i think) and it was a disaster for the four years through 2017 - it is now full.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Just finished up a short outing on foot here. The trails are a stream. The only place to walk is on the rocks. Gonna be a while for bikes. The top is drying out faster (as usual) but it still needs a solid amount of time before it’s dry.

You gotta hear Roaring Rocks though.

F443A43D-A676-4DC7-B965-73A83BB42461.jpeg
2F526087-D39B-4C19-978A-778D159655D0.jpeg
ED90512F-7CB2-4EC9-B30B-DEB44020898F.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions