Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
Thanks for the recon, Rick. Were you riding Chunkey clockwise? If so, I think i know the spot where you got turned around, and i think there was a marker on a tree before the creek but that tree fell. The tree on Boulderama, is that "before" when riding clockwise (AKA close to 3 Amigos and Marker 4)? Is it just a trunk or a mess of branches? And where is trimming the most needed?
http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/genInfo/maps/SourlandsMap.pdf

Yes going clockwise. If you zoom in you can see where I turned around:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1818900855

The tree is a solid trunk - going clockwise from marker 4, about 2/3 the way to boulderama.

Trimming - the worst section is not ridden so much - white trail between markers 5 and 6 (most people ride 3 amigos and skip this). Secondarily, white trail clockwise from trailhead to marker 9. Not a lot, so it wouldn't take long for a few guys to hike that part and trim.

Rockbottom

Haven't been there in over a week but I'd predict still lots of mud. Maybe by sunday afternoon it will be ok
Thanks, I was assuming that was the case. I’ve had no luck this season with Sourlands. Feel like it’s been wet and muddy since June

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Sunday 9/30 report: Hiked up pipeline to Chunkey Monkey with the Eagle Scout who will be building our new bridge over the stream crossing on that trail. 3 Amigos was a bit damp but rideable. Chunky Monkey was very wet still, especially near the stream crossing. New armored section was working perfectly though in very wet conditions. Thinking we will need similar armoring work heading from there to the stream crossing. Might make that the focus of the next TM day (Nov 4th).

TPI_Elky

Anybody been on the trails lately? Gonna be in the area tomorrow and was thinking about a quick run either here or Six Mile. Sounds like six mile is muddy right now.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rode yesterday, Sunday morning. Trails were decent but wet in a few spots. Lower trails were a little wet but not terrible. Chunky Monkey from the stream crossing to the bouldering rock was pretty wet as expected-think we're gonna need some more armoring in that area. The descent at the end of Boulderama also was slick which made it interesting. Overall not bad-wet but not wet enough to avoid. I cleared a bunch of blowdowns and debris from the Michael leftovers but didn't bring a saw. Some trees down:
Beginning of Montezuma right before the first rock feature (hand saw-able)
3 giant rotten trunks right at Devil's Half Acre that will need chainsaw (i'll call the Rangers)
One further down Boulderama (hand saw-able)
I'll try to get out there in the coming weeks but if anyone else wants to take a hand saw up, have at it.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Also, the Tumbling Stairs rock feature at Devil's Half Acre bouldering rocks got clipped by a falling tree and a few large rocks were dislodged. Could be easily fixed but they were too heavy for me to move on my own. If any burlier man or group wants to try to fix it, have at that too.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Small downed tree is gone. Those two others are huge. I took the C trail down (between pipeline and Boulderama) it has a huge one down across it too and the largest bridge is in very rough shape, missing slats and it has a healthy bend in the middle which makes it look like the frame is snapped.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Small downed tree is gone. Those two others are huge. I took the C trail down (between pipeline and Boulderama) it has a huge one down across it too and the largest bridge is in very rough shape, missing slats and it has a healthy bend in the middle which makes it look like the frame is snapped.

thanks Dave.

rick81721

Lothar

There's been a large tree down for months on the other C trail from end of new shoes to white on the south side of the pipeline. Looks like Somerset county has to send their chainsaw crew out.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
There's been a large tree down for months on the other C trail from end of new shoes to white on the south side of the pipeline. Looks like Somerset county has to send their chainsaw crew out.

This stuff is too big for all the saws I have. If they don’t move on it I can take one on at a time... it’s just gonna take a while to (literally) chip away at them.

rick81721

Lothar
This stuff is too big for all the saws I have. If they don’t move on it I can take one on at a time... it’s just gonna take a while to (literally) chip away at them.

Can you pinpoint on a map where they are? 2 years ago it was a struggle to get the crew out, but I have the email address of the lady in charge, she said to email her the details and they will send out a crew.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Can you pinpoint on a map where they are? 2 years ago it was a struggle to get the crew out, but I have the email address of the lady in charge, she said to email her the details and they will send out a crew.

I can mark up a map of where they are.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions