Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

snashters

this is Lower Trail 1, between pipeline crossing and next intersection, correct? Sending pic to Rangers.
It looks further in than that, this boardwalk, closer to the dam.

1638933090775.png

1638933032566.png

JPark

this is Lower Trail 1, between pipeline crossing and next intersection, correct? Sending pic to Rangers.
It's between markers 7 and 8. It's actually close to where that smaller tree had fallen and was removed recently.

JPark

Did a hike today.
Most of the snow is gone and very little ice. The ice I encountered was easy to spot and go around.
I finished at 1pm and the ground was still frozen.

There is tree down on Riverbed Connector. Chainsaw size.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Based on what i've seen/heard. Lower trails will be super sloppy this week. If you go, climb the pipeline and ride up top (3 Amigos, Chunky Monkey, Montezuma). Though, with rain tomorrow, it'll probably all be crap after today.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Hiked with the new Ranger leaders for Volunteer Trail Maintenance (VTM) today. The Volunteer Park Patrol (VPP) name was changed bc it didn't make sense. The Rangers are Wesley and Cary and are nice young guys but admitted they know very little about mountain biking other than JORBA rocks at trailbuilding and they trust us. I explained some things to them as we hiked so they got a better understanding of what we do and what we like. First VTM session is scheduled for 5/21 but they said we can gather crews anytime we want as long as we clear it with them. There's also much more interest from the Corporate contingent on VTM days now that COVID has waned so they're trying to line them up on the "easy" stuff like trimming, closing shortcuts and narrowing trails.

Anyway, Boulderama was fine, Middle C was eh, Maple Flats was ok, but Lower Trail 1 was very wet. If you're riding this weekend, do the up the Pipeline thing and you should be ok as long as we don't get anymore significant rain. We cleared debris from the trails we hiked and I cleared out some old drainage nicks to help the cause.

They also informed me that the "Red Tube Situation" is going to take a few months to resolve. An endangered species was encountered, all motorized vehicle traffic is paused on the Pipeline until an environmental study can be done. You can still ride/hike past it, just be very careful.

Last edited:

jklett

Hiked an abbreviated route with my youngest daughter today. Wet most places where it's sorta flat(usual spring conditions), nothing really unexpected. It's mostly OK but I'd probably give it a little more time to dry out before calling it good. Rose whips are starting to encroach, moved a few smaller logs off the trail. I did see a potential for a new line, may have been one at some point in time but needs some cleanup to make it survivable. It felt amazing to be out in the woods again, even if I can't really ride yet.

JPark

Hiked an abbreviated route with my youngest daughter today. Wet most places where it's sorta flat(usual spring conditions), nothing really unexpected. It's mostly OK but I'd probably give it a little more time to dry out before calling it good. Rose whips are starting to encroach, moved a few smaller logs off the trail. I did see a potential for a new line, may have been one at some point in time but needs some cleanup to make it survivable. It felt amazing to be out in the woods again, even if I can't really ride yet.
Every time I go there I think I see a new line!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions