Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Mon 23rd to Thurs 26th (don't know times). If anyone wants to join, you can email Darren (dpowell-at-scparks.org) and tell him you're a JORBA member looking to help out.

That is Ranger Darren, who we met at the VPP day?

Made it back today to sweep Three Amigos (3-go kinda like J-lo, cause 3am is taken?)
and the Riverbed Trail.

Couple of things needed to be cleared with a saw, but mostly just branches.
I guess people just go around them? Mentioned that before.

Couple of hiker lines around some rocks appeared. oh well.

I cleared the line above The Nemesis. it rides really well - much better then the line into the mud pit.

Conditions are good - could use a little moisture, and a breeze.

Got an idea for a new line/rock feature - on 3-go, need to get someone that could actually ride it to critique.
(u no hoo u r)

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
That is Ranger Darren, who we met at the VPP day?

Made it back today to sweep Three Amigos (3-go kinda like J-lo, cause 3am is taken?)
and the Riverbed Trail.

Couple of things needed to be cleared with a saw, but mostly just branches.
I guess people just go around them? Mentioned that before.

Couple of hiker lines around some rocks appeared. oh well.

I cleared the line above The Nemesis. it rides really well - much better then the line into the mud pit.

Conditions are good - could use a little moisture, and a breeze.

Got an idea for a new line/rock feature - on 3-go, need to get someone that could actually ride it to critique.
(u no hoo u r)
thanks, Pat. Yes, that's the Head Ranger, Darren who was at the last TM. Would love to scope a new line with you but not sure when i can get down there next.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
wow, i was fearing for the worst when i saw the flooding by Somerville Circle. Are the roads clear for me to get there if i come from the circle?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rode this AM just did lower section up to three amigos. Place is in good shape. There is a small tree across boardwalk by 12. And the rock garden on 10 got a huge pile up of rocks. Everything else was good to go
After the re-marking this year, there is no more Marker 12. Only goes up to 8 now, haha. (i know where you mean though). I will try to get there Friday or Sunday.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Finally got down there for the first time since Ida (yeah, I know I'm slacking). Trails were primo today and the only noticable thing was the rocks piled up at the broken plates stream crossing. Amazing what water can do. Cleared a small tree across the bridge at marker 7 and @snashters cleared one on Chunky Monkey. I also cleaned up a bunch of alt lines and resurrected an old line on Boulderama that a tree has blocked for a couple years. (Looking uphill)
20210929_150346.jpg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Checked out the trails I didn't hit earlier this week. Everything was primo but lots of rain coming. We took care of the prickers around marker 7 and cleaned up some lines on Chunky Monkey. Forgot to mention in last post but the Pipeline has been recently mowed for all you kamikaze bombers.

rick81721

Lothar
Perfect conditions other than all the leaves down. Even I got off trail a few times on the lesser traveled sections. One elevated tree down a few hundred yards before marker 7. Hand saw can take it out.

But man, the pandemic has ruined this place with hikers. Pre-pandemic, I'd go there morning/early afternoon on a week day and see about 5 cars in the lot. Today there were so many I counted - 53!

20211111_124128.jpg

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Perfect conditions other than all the leaves down. Even I got off trail a few times on the lesser traveled sections. One elevated tree down a few hundred yards before marker 7. Had saw can take it out.

But man, the pandemic has ruined this place with hikers. Pre-pandemic, I'd go there morning/early afternoon on a week day and see about 5 cars in the lot. Today there were so many I counted - 53!

View attachment 170759
Rick reporting 53 cars to county staff on Veterans Day
1636657514383.gif

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions