Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Yesterday I hiked north from the northern most part of Boulderama, but never made it as far as that housing development. (there is this purple/pink trail right around there that is not on the map)
View attachment 143990
As you would it expect, it started off extremely rocky but then the rocks disappear. I could only get about a quarter mile in before I hit some dense pricker bushes which seemed to continue north as far as I could see.
View attachment 143991
I then turned east and down the ridge about 70ft and started heading back. There is a bit of a natural bench that works it's way back to around where Boulderama meets the parking loop.
Everywhere that I hiked was DRY.
oh, interesting. I may try to find that purple/pink trail and see what the full trail looks like. Might be easier to get approval for (and build) a resurrection trail rather than a new trail build. I'm hoping that was at one time a legit park trail and not a local's. Looks legit. Also, heads-up: something in a nice bright blue color will be going up in the Sourlands parking lot very soon. ;)

JPark

oh, interesting. I may try to find that purple/pink trail and see what the full trail looks like. Might be easier to get approval for (and build) a resurrection trail rather than a new trail build. I'm hoping that was at one time a legit park trail and not a local's. Looks legit. Also, heads-up: something in a nice bright blue color will be going up in the Sourlands parking lot very soon. ;)
I was back on the bike today. That trail just links 2 sections of Boulderama. I think it was one of those existing side trails at the top and they just decided to mark it. I'd say it's probably Lavender color. You can see it marked in the one photo.
I was going to say it links up with the trail after that crazy rock section but that could be one of 10 different places!

phillychris498

Anyone ridden the trails up top at Sourlands yesterday or today? I might do an out and back loop going up the connector from marker 2 to marker 4 and ride all the tech up top tomorrow morning.

rick81721

Lothar
Anyone ridden the trails up top at Sourlands yesterday or today? I might do an out and back loop going up the connector from marker 2 to marker 4 and ride all the tech up top tomorrow morning.

Did a road ride up there on Sunday and lots of standing water on top. Would imagine it's much worse now but check it out and see

JPark

I haven't been up there since the rain but, I've had a lot of success in the past doing what you plan to do.
However, Chunky Monkey stays wet longer than 3 Amigos and Montezuma.
Mountains drain from the top down.

phillychris498

I haven't been up there since the rain but, I've had a lot of success in the past doing what you plan to do.
However, Chunky Monkey stays wet longer than 3 Amigos and Montezuma.
Mountains drain from the top down.
I was intending on skipping chunky monkey because of the few super wet spots it has.

JPark

Went for a ride this afternoon.
3 Amigos was dry except for one small area, Montezuma was dry.
There must have been some seriously heavy rain because the water washed most of the leaves off Boulderama. There was also noticeable erosion on Pipeline. C trail coming down from Boulderama got some erosion too, those rocky sections are even nastier now.

phillychris498

Went for a ride this afternoon.
3 Amigos was dry except for one small area, Montezuma was dry.
There must have been some seriously heavy rain because the water washed most of the leaves off Boulderama. There was also noticeable erosion on Pipeline. C trail coming down from Boulderama got some erosion too, those rocky sections are even nastier now.
That rain was nasty on Monday. I didn’t have the time to make it all the way down to sourlands but I saw similar drainage patterns at allamuchy north today, where the trail was completely clear of leaves from the rainfall.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
So, does anyone think all the excessive foot traffic this year can work to our advantage with this snow? Looking for locals to chime in hopefully (@clarkenstein, @jklett etc.) How much snow did you get and have people been hiking? A drive by check would be nice too! (Sincerely, the desperate guy who didn't get to ride last weekend but has this weekend free)

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So, does anyone think all the excessive foot traffic this year can work to our advantage with this snow? Looking for locals to chime in hopefully (@clarkenstein, @jklett etc.) How much snow did you get and have people been hiking? A drive by check would be nice too! (Sincerely, the desperate guy who didn't get to ride last weekend but has this weekend free)
I actually measured right when the storm stopped and we got six inches on the nose. I think this will be solid riding time. Only issue is ice. I’ll try to stop by tomorrow.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I actually measured right when the storm stopped and we got six inches on the nose. I think this will be solid riding time. Only issue is ice. I’ll try to stop by tomorrow.
My Experience riding the last two mornings (other places) is that this is not the nice snow for riding. Any track, tire or foot, turned to ice Thursday night. I saw a huge amount of foot track in my normal locations (another downside of covid, people outside). I can’t image hikers stayed away from the most popular place in that area. If you try, expected very bumpy ice.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
my theory is lots of traffic = enough footprints to basically flatten everything. Only a few people would mean bumpy. I dunno, we'll see if i get out somewhere tomorrow. Sunday weather looks iffy.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
my theory is lots of traffic = enough footprints to basically flatten everything. Only a few people would mean bumpy. I dunno, we'll see if i get out somewhere tomorrow. Sunday weather looks iffy.
1608345524766.gif

Gnick

considering riding here sunday morning - does anyone have any updates on what the trails look like?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
i have not been down there in a while but i think if you start early while frozen, you'll be good. Only wetness should be from freeze/thaw. Locals should confirm though. If it's thawing, skip the lower trails and head up the pipeline to 3 Amigos, Montezuma, Boulderama. Beware of hiker hoards though. The earlier the better for that too.

jklett

considering riding here sunday morning - does anyone have any updates on what the trails look like?
I was there yesterday morning, I didn't even get to the first left before turning back. I've never seen it so muddy and blown out. Maybe way early and going up the pipeline like @gmb3 said might be okay but any later than say 9 will be rough(mud and the roaming hoards).

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions