Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
i have not been but i'd guess it's pretty good if 6MR and Chimney are good

Great shape. just a little mud at the bottom. For this time of year, amazing.

One large tree down on white just past the pipeline. And somerset County is re-marking all the trails, looks like some trails will have new names. Are you guys involved in this? They are codifying some of the hiker shortcuts like that one on new shoes. Another just past roaring rocks.

IMG_20200514_115442_347.jpg

See pink tape everywhere:

20200514_115519.jpg

20200514_121815.jpg

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Glad conditions are good. I am not involved but they've been talking about the renaming and remarking for over a year. Bummed that they're not recognizing what's a shortcut and what isn't but with how much traffic the shortcuts get, I understand how you can get confused. I'll reach out and see if I can help. The tree was already communicated but they said they're too busy now but will get to it.

rick81721

Lothar
What time were you in the park?

11 - 12:30. As a point of reference,
I'm comparing to previous years when riding there on weekday mornings you'd see maybe 4 cars in the lot.

And there is now a hiker shortcut on new shoes that basically goes straight down from the top and cuts out 3 switchbacks.

jklett

11 - 12:30. As a point of reference,
I'm comparing to previous years when riding there on weekday mornings you'd see maybe 4 cars in the lot.

And there is now a hiker shortcut on new shoes that basically goes straight down from the top and cuts out 3 switchbacks.
I saw that one, I thought to myself that would be fun down but suck going up. There's hiker shortcuts and braiding going on all over the place, not just this place but every park I've been to lately. At least the people here seem to be taking their trash with them more so than the rest.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Yes, the hiker shortcuts were getting bad even before covid so I'm sure they're everywhere now. Trying to close them down is a wasted effort. All we can do is continue to ride the intended trails so they don't disappear and make sure the county doesn't mistake a shortcut for the trail when re-marking.

jklett

Slightly sweaty rocks today but still mostly grippy(although crowded AF, even at 7ish). The pipeline is very loose from the machinery, especially just below the booter. We're talking guardrail by chimney rock road loose. Caught me off guard and I almost ate it so I figured I'd warn everyone.

rick81721

Lothar
Slightly sweaty rocks today but still mostly grippy(although crowded AF, even at 7ish). The pipeline is very loose from the machinery, especially just below the booter. We're talking guardrail by chimney rock road loose. Caught me off guard and I almost ate it so I figured I'd warn everyone.

that place has always been ridiculously crowded on weekends. the trick this time of year is do the opposite, wait until the afternoon when heat and humidity is the highest - the hikers melt and tend to stay away. gotta be in the 90s tho

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions