Sourland Mountain preserve ride 09:30 am come join the fun. (now 12/15)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
just want to re-iterate - this is going to be a very casual ride.
anyone can feel free to push any hill/segment they want, but come back down and re-ride, or wait with a smile.
I'm planning on about 2 hours.

maple flats to 4-way, C trail to fence.
New shoes -> rock pile, left up the outside climb (roaring rocks!).
Old red trail to pipeline, go across, and stay right - along white back across the pipeline to "the old trail"
Stay up high. if we think its doable, chunky monkey if not, back to the fence.
outside loop to the 4-way, back across the pipeline at the second crossing.
Make a call - back up the connector (it was rebuilt to climb!) to devil's half acre,
then down the north side (nj toughest climb is not so hard going down)

if we do chunky on the second pass, we'll cross the pipeline and head to devils half acre...

flexible.
4mph average?
expect lots of walking

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
4 mph sounds alright to me - slightly slower is even better. i haven't been able to ride so my casual pace may feel like track standing to some. and i'm rusty in the rocks! excuses excuses but i'm really looking forward to it.

Dingo

4 mph sounds alright to me - slightly slower is even better. i haven't been able to ride so my casual pace may feel like track standing to some. and i'm rusty in the rocks! excuses excuses but i'm really looking forward to it.

My last ride there, we averaged 5.2 MPH... And it was fast! even maxed out @ 18 on the down side

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My last ride there, we averaged 5.2 MPH... And it was fast! even maxed out @ 18 on the down side

this is the cool thing about the sourlands. i feel good about sitting and contemplating a line, then retrying something.
the funny part is thinking to myself over and over, "why didn't i make that last time" and "i usually clear that"
That and things like 1,500' climbing in 10 miles....

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unfortunately, I’m out as well. Bummed.

Two stray cats arrived at our door last night and I need to find a home for them. The Mrs is allergic. Got my hands full today.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Great ride today - some slipping and sliding but some very fun conditions.

Tag yoself:

@fidodie upfront

A6F70094-9A1C-4EF1-9C2C-1AFE016DEE20.jpeg

@michael.su
Mike ”Clarked-out”. Crank assembly blew apart after getting caught on a shark fin. I have a small collection of pics of Mike fixing his bike mid-trail. RIP Mike’s crank.

AFAD5D43-8DD8-4CB4-83C3-736498ABCCA9.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions