Soundz Like Training Long Time

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So all day yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about how Kevin suggested I create my own thread. I decided if it's something that's gonna consume me like that, it really means I should do it. I've thought about the positives and negatives. About how some people may take things away from how I live my life. About how people would conceive me.

I do think I have something to offer in that I haven't really seen beginners create a consistent blog for themselves. So maybe I'll bring a different perspective to this whole nutrition & training thing. And maybe offer people some insight into how much it takes to do well in Cat 3. Frankly, it doesn't take a lot. You just have to motivate yourself to get out there as much as possible and push yourself hard few times a week. And you HAVE TO RIDE IN THE WINTER. If you do this, you will be contending in Cat 3 within 1 year. For some people that may be a lot, but when I'm out there riding, I'm having fun and feeling good about myself, so it turns out to be not so much effort.

To me, there is a kind of arrogance that comes with creating your own thread. Maybe it's that you think of yourself as being so good and wonderful and fast. Maybe you just like to hear yourself talk. Hopefully, I'm not doing it for these reasons so much and hope to give back to the mtbNJ community in a positive way. In the end it comes down to the fact that I can't help myself. So here it is.

I would say there were 2 major events in my short mtb "career" that led me to where I am today. I've already written about them in length so I will just point you there:

http://mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16786#8
http://mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17127#1

Today, I'm going to try make it down to the Allaire Beginner Ride. Not sure if I'm gonna join the train or not. After Tymor, I feel like I could use some relaxed riding. Want to make it out to Ringwood Beinnger Ride as well. May try to push it more on some other rides this week. Allaire may turn out to be that if I don't join the train.

Allaire is far from me, esp during rush hour. But there is some additional motivation for going down today. I couldn't stay for the medal ceremony after Tymor, so Eric picked up the medal and my schwag for me. I picked the Pro-logo saddle. It looks really nice. I really wanna try it.

Walter is also giving me his 29er Nevegals. I've had good luck with getting hand-me-down stuff. Joe gave me his Rampages. I haven't mounted them yet, but I will when I build up my suspension 29er. I guess I'll race the Rampages and use the Nevegals for playing around in the rocky stuff. The Nanoraptors that came with the bike are light, but don't have much traction and whenever I hit a rock, I'm afraid the side is gonna explode. I guess I'll race them for LM and KVSP. If I'm lucky, I'll also be getting some other hand-me-downs from Al.

Sh*t, now I feel like a douche-bag because I told Tim I'd sell him my Monocog Fork for $15. I should just give it to him for free. I asked Mike for $20, but I think he's already gone in a different direction.

Picture of the day. Picked up this bike (or remnants of one) yesterday:

bike.20100524.004.jpg

It's a pre-war Elgin. Plan is to make it into a trail cruising machine. I emailed it to Al and he asked me if I had seen Klunkerz. I had to look up what that was. So I guess this is my Klunker.

Last edited:

RNG1

Cool man, you got my attention. 1 tip: when you feel inspired to post a pic of seaweed, just put one up of a nice legged woman. However that is a cool looking bike if you really restored that. Where did you find that?

It was good to finally meet you at Tymor and great job. Congrats!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
However that is a cool looking bike if you really restored that. Where did you find that?

I found it on CL. I also saw this one which is in better condition:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1750107837.html

The guy said he would take $200. But my motivation for this build is not to restore, but chop it up into a semi-ridable frankin-mtb bike. I just need the frame, so don't need to spend that kind of $. If I wanted to do a restore I probably would have went for this one (I saw it in Nyack earlier this month, so it may still be available):

bike.20100502.001.jpg

bike.20100502.002.jpg

Last edited:

RNG1

My little local shop in town has a collection of some wild old ones, maybe I will stop in there and take a couple of pics. He's got one with wooden wheels. I would like to get something like the one you show to ride around the neighborhood with my kids with. I could paint it team colors:hmmm:
Wait that is actually a cool idea....

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Looking forward to reading this. I think it would be a good idea to change your avatar to a picture of seaweed.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Jimmy, myself and Wonderturtle (mark) will be there at 4pm for the non-beginner part you are welcome to join us. Btw I like your intro

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Nice bike Jimmy! That would look sweet painted pink. ;)

I think it is a good idea to create your own thread. There are a lot of people trying racing for the first time, and I'm sure they will enjoy reading about experiences similar to their own. :)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jimmy, myself and Wonderturtle (mark) will be there at 4pm for the non-beginner part you are welcome to join us. Btw I like your intro

getting ready to leave .. can you PM me your # so I can call you if I'm running late

Rozack

Jimmy,

It was nice to here your story. Sorry I missed the thread earlier
http://mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16786#8
My wife suffers from Dermatomyositis a disease simular to Polymyositis where the white blood cells attack the muscles and she was in bad shape for awhile. It is now under control with medicine. After reading this I think there is hope she can regain alot of her muscle mass. Watching you fly around Lewis Morris and kick my butt I'm sure of it.

Thanks,

Bob

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
in the immortal words of the Da Nang Hooker from full metal jacket: Well, baby, me so horny. Me so HORNY. Me love you long time. You party?

well done on the title.

VanDbtRiver

you were gonna sell Tim the fork for 15 bucks, and $20 to me...I'll remember that;)..., good luck this season and include your photo's in your thread because I am not much of a reader.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I didn't want to create a "training thread" because I don't really train or eat well.
I will be interested to see what you write/experience, because I feel like I'll be right with ya!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
really?:hmmm: it worked on my computer.
every good wife should practice this line over and over :rolleyes:
does anyone have this audio?? me so horney from full metal jacket

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I hit Eric in the arm with some black Allaire mud from Tiger Woods and he got super pissed...but I think he was lashing out cause I kept refering to you as The Champion of Eric. Hahahahahait made me laugh for a 2 hour ride

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hit Eric in the arm with some black Allaire mud from Tiger Woods and he got super pissed...but I think he was lashing out cause I kept refering to you as The Champion of Eric. Hahahahahait made me laugh for a 2 hour ride

I don't know why that glob of black sludge bothered me so much. I wanted to deck you for that. :D Was it retaliation for getting F'd in the A by my Bar Ends? There's still remnants of it on my arm even though I showered. I think your new nickname for Jimmy is funny....better than "Data".

Look forward to reading more Jimmy, Love the title!

Top Bottom