Sorry, more roadie stuff

walter

Fourth Party
Now that the other post has got me looking at road bikes, can some explain the differences between normal and compact. Is the frame different, the geometry, all I can see is different crankset options on "compact" versions.

thanks

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We've asked for a road biking forum before. I assume Jason's feeling towards this is similar to Tim Hardaway's feelings towards homosexuals?

I have a triple and I usually stay in the middle and large chainrings. In fact my shift lever shit the bed one year so I just left it in the middle (42) for the last 2 months of the riding season and was fine with it.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
wee gears

So is it just an alternate gearing choice, or are there other benefits?
Compact gearing =

-Lesser overall weight from: 2 vs. 3 rings, 2 smaller rings vs standard double, and a shorter chain.

-Better chain line and better shifting than a triple.

-With a 34/50 and a 11-26 (vs. a 39/53 and a 12-27) you cover nearly every situation

-Many companies are replacing triples with compacts across the board.

Perhaps a possible downside is that with lesser teeth spinning they could wear faster.

A compact frame geometry is something completely different. Say you ride a 56 cm level top tube bike. It might be square with a 56 ctc (center to center) top tube and seat tube length...

In a compact frame the seat tube length might only be a 45 while the effective top tube might still be a 56. The wheelbase and the general way that the bike rides and works will be the same. You will need a much longer seatpost but the saddle height and cockpit length remains the same.

A compact geometry might look a lot like a mt bike with a sloping top tube. This can give a lower center of gravity, more stand over clearance and a sort of funky look (at first glance).

Giant was the first to go mainstream with this setup and now it seems that everyone is doing it.. Even Colnago.

j-

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Thanks everyone for the help, I didnt mean to ruffle anyones panties

I have a g-string wedgie..

I need vice grips to remove it.

I sure am mad..

:mad2:

Mad, Mad, MAd.. RRRRR

Just kidding.

love j

walter

Fourth Party
I have a g-string wedgie..

I need vice grips to remove it.

I sure am mad..

:mad2:

Mad, Mad, MAd.. RRRRR

Just kidding.

love j

Ha, that's funny, never pictured you as a g-string man.

I mean, not that I would picture you in a g-string

Wobbegong

Ha, that's funny, never pictured you as a g-string man.

I mean, not that I would picture you in a g-string

Yeah, Please J, I dont need to come into the shop and find you behind the counter wearing a hoagie hammock. I may have to shop elsewhere..:D

Top Bottom