sore knees

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
as of late i havnt been able to get on the bike as much as i did in the summer months due to the weather and prior commitments. once a week at best now. since this has been happening ive been noticing my knees getting sore due to lack of riding activity. does this happen to anyone else on here? or do you think its something i should have looked at?

ebineezer

have you changed your seat height at all? sometimes i notice when i lower my seat post for a downhill section and forget to raise it, my knees will be a little sore

The Kalmyk

as of late i havnt been able to get on the bike as much as i did in the summer months due to the weather and prior commitments. once a week at best now. since this has been happening ive been noticing my knees getting sore due to lack of riding activity. does this happen to anyone else on here? or do you think its something i should have looked at?

Consider a fit by a pro...I was recommended wedges in my shoes and it has made a world of difference

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you wearing shorts in cold weather? You may not feel cold on th eride but your knees will thank you for the superhero pants later. Happens to me and i ride 5-6 days a week.

TonyC

jog/run 5k every other night.
I ride once a week, but if I didn't jog/run during the week I'm sure I'd be in a world of hurt after biking.

also, spandex running pants helps keep the knees warm especially on 35-40degree morning rides

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

I've noticed this myself as of late. However, I usually discount it because my knees hurt often anyway (meniscus and acl injuries from my moto-x youth). It seems worse than last year.

I do have a theory (just a theory)...

I remember reading somewhere that you will start to loose strength/conditioning if you don't ride a couple of times a week. If that is true, your muscles aren't quite what they were if you're riding once a week now. And if that is true, your muscles have less ability to support your knees than they did.

Now, if you're going out and turning just as big of gears and hammering just as hard as before, it would seem that the internals of your knee would have to be absorbing more torque and pounding now because your muscles around your knee are less able to take that load.

And if that is the case, turning a slightly lower gear and spinning a bit more might help.

Again, 'just a theory and I wish we had an exercise physiologist (do we?) around here to comment.

For myself, this year seems a little worse than last. Last year I was on a gearie, this year on a SS. Which means I could run a lower gear than usual when my conditioning/strength fell off last year. Now that is not the case...and my knees hurt more. Anecdotal evidence to be sure...but maybe...

argyle

i had the same issue and it was so painful while riding that i had to limp it home once. so i went to a physical therapist and was told it's most likely tendinitis and that i should get an MRI...or, do some preventive training.

and that's what i've been doing...i ride the recumbent bikes at the gym average 3 times a week and do moderate leg workouts with the weight machines to focus on the connective tendons and muscles around the knee. so far so good!

not to scare you, but i'm just saying.

ellbiddy

I've recently switched to training at RV and had my seat a little low and after those 2 hour hill pedalfests my knees would cry uncle the next day. As soon as I bumped it up just a hair all my pains stopped appearing. A lot has to do with fit, I'm not going to pretend to know the details, but rest assured it has a lot more to do than just seat height.

So maybe your post slipped in some, or it got jarred a bit, could also just be the change in riding schedule. Just throwing out some ideas. :p

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Sore Knee ...

With sore knee's I feel the first thing to know is where is the knee sore?
Front of the knee (under the patella) after a ride usually points to too low of a saddle, whereas a higher saddle could make the back of the knee sore. If you are only riding once a week, be sure do spin at a higher RPM for the first few miles. With Xmas coming up sounds like it's time to ask santa for a Indoor trainer :D

RC ... :)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Indoor trainer is good but rollers are better for spinning. When its too crappy to ride outside I through my road bike on the rollers and spin at a high cadence. Spinning on rollers teaches you to keep your upper body still and maintain a steady spin. I used to work up the nerve to ride with no hands on rollers but lately have been too chicken.

dualfisted

that's an ok come back....

is that advice from past expierience frank?:D

But u had it coming for sure. Anyway, I've had some front of the knee pain in the past and did some reading on the topic. The cure for me was not only better stretching but it turns out that I was riding nearly 100 percent of the time sitting. I needed to mix it up a bit with some out of the saddle jaunts and move around a bit. I do it now without even noticing. In my reading, there seemed to be a LOT of different types of knee pains and knee problems, check bicycling.com's health type articles and you'll probably find plenty of 411. I go to the doc's as a last result only. Good luck, lates, tj
PS- colder weather be sure your knees stay warm. Maybe get some pink lycra, haha.

Top Bottom