SOMETHING WICKED EVENTS presents 6 Hours Of Cathedral Pines 2013

wonderturtle

Had a goal of 7 laps. Instead did 6 again...around 6.5 hours which is more than 1/2 hour slower than 2010 (and that I did on a rigid SS). Thought I was maintaining my fitness. But seems I am sliding back a bit (damn you Father Time!)

It was the best my legs would give me yesterday. But for the first ever in an endurance race I didn't cramp, so that's a positive.

I left with a new resolve to fine tune the training and nutrition (including goal of losing 20 lbs), to make 7 laps a reality. Leaving with a new resolve is a positive as well. As was a great course with beautiful weather, and hanging with my bro Macdad.

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another class act put on by SwE

2nd time doing this event and I would like to give a thanks to the crew from Something Wicked. I have gotten to know these guys from the race scene and you can not find a nicer more sincere group of guys. Every team member, their girlfriends, spouses, dogs and even kids are great! I feel privileged to have them as friends and I glad that I have the opportunity to participate in their event every year.
With that being said I want to say congrads to all the Jersey crew that supported this and kicked ass. We even had a complete podium of NJ Chris's at one point. Weather was perfect, course was fun and fast and I had the best time yapping it up with my bro's and with other riders for 6 hours. Good times and try not to miss the next one if you know any better!!
Peace out and clang clang clang MFR's

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I had a great time today. I did 3 laps, but kinda hung out with Jody and his bell for a few hours. That place is awesome! I wish is was closer. Thanks SwE for a great day!

I had my GoPro taking pictures in addition to recording video. So these pictures are basically just luck of the draw.

I made this album available PUBLIC so anyone should be able to see it even without an account. Feel free to tag yourselves or others... (the tags might not show up right away).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100345786777658&type=1&l=a0dca251e4

Was that you in the Halter's kit snapping pics? I saw you out there on a couple different sections of the course - awesome pics and thanks for doing that!

I had a great weekend - snapped my seat post on Friday while pre-riding in the rain, but luckily Shoogs, Jody and Jeff were there setting up and directed me to a bike shop to get a new one. The race itself went about as good as I can expect. Got really lucky on the start and sat on a very fast wheel all the way to the woods so I was able to avoid the mayhem on the first climb. I was able to keep pretty consistent lap times all day, with a big assist from Iggy on lap 4 when I pulled up behind him and just used his pace to set my own, and then shot for that same pace the rest of the day after we split up when I stopped at my pit. It worked out and I was able to get 8 laps for the day and second place in SS. I didn't care about the place nearly as much as the lap counts -- I've been trying for that since I first did this race in 2010. I didn't even try to hide my happiness when I came across the line with lap 7 at 5:50 -- I was whooping and shouting and telling anyone in earshot that I was getting eight. Seems kind of ridiculous I know, but it was a goal I'd had for a while and finally getting it was really cool feeling. Thanks to everyone from sWe for another awesome event!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was whooping and shouting and telling anyone in earshot that I was getting eight. Seems kind of ridiculous I know, but it was a goal I'd had for a while and finally getting it was really cool feeling. Thanks to everyone from sWe for another awesome event!

Nice job, we had a nice pace going. Doing that on a SS is really impressive. I did SS in 2011 and it was a lot harder. You where strong all the way to the finish, congrats.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
sWe 6HCP crew FTW! Thanks again gentlemen for another great race. You guys always throw a hell of a party!

My race was less than stellar. I tweaked my back. The pain became unbearable so I bailed on my 4th lap. Shit happens.

Was glad to see so many friends and teammates collecting bling and throwing down solid race times. Good work all!

cerberos

...I didn't even try to hide my happiness when I came across the line with lap 7 at 5:50 -- I was whooping and shouting and telling anyone in earshot that I was getting eight. Seems kind of ridiculous I know, but it was a goal I'd had for a while and finally getting it was really cool feeling. Thanks to everyone from sWe for another awesome event!

That was friggin' awesome!

We love our Jersey Brethren.

Always great to see so much Blue & Orange.

You guys/gals kicked some ass yesterday.

Thanks for coming out.....

GratefulRider

This was my first time at CP. I hated the first lap. There was a small crash on the start that allowed about 25-50 riders to get up the road in front of me. I tried to be polite and patient but these are usually the first two qualities that flee my body when I pin a number on.

So, 3 minutes into the race and I'm bleeding time to the front group. I couldn't see, my traction was horrendous, I thought the course sucked, and I was livid for getting caught behind so many riders that seemed content to just coast. This is bike racing...Ughhh. Eventually I get past most of this, find some day light, my vision narrows and I find my focus...this is bike racing!

By the 2nd or 3rd lap I found my rhythm and by the 3rd or 4th lap I really started to enjoy the day. For the next 5 laps it was groove and flow with a healthy dose of suffering. I knew I was doing well but wasn't sure who was still in front of me, how far they were, and even who was in my race. I committed to just ride the fastest pace I believed I could hold for the duration and hoped it would be enough to earn me the top step. As the time ticked on and I passed many familiar faces, I grew more confident but it's November and we're all coming into the race with varying levels of fatigue and fitness so I felt like I shouldn't get too comfortable.

When the dust settled...I completed 8 laps in 6hrs 26 mins. Good enough for 1st in cat 1 but still 8th overall.

The course and the scene really is a great way to end the season. I hope to return next year.

Congrats to those that made it onto the steps as well as to those that accomplished their personal goals.

-Jeff

cem

I heard and read this place wasn’t technical, so I assumed my only advantage was shot. Mass start was hectic and scary, if I’m going down I want to be of my own doing. Luckily I made through with a group of about 25 and thought this might be a pretty good position.

We entered the woods with not too much trouble and did get jammed up on the first few steep riser. Made some passes got passed, but with in 15min (rarely happens this quickly) I was in a steady pace with 3 or 4 strong riders . This is when I realized it may not be Ringwood tech, but with speed, leaves and countless turns bike handling is going play a larger part then expected and i might just have a chance.

Some where on my 2nd or 3rd lap. I hear “...Michaloski...”, A bit confused as Jeff’s voice is generally in front of me and not behind. He eventually made it to my wheel and we settle into a strong, steady pace and pass quite few riders.

Leaving the woods, Jeff jumps out in front. I get on his wheel and draft him to the car. He waits a moment as I grab a bottle. I get on his wheel again and back into the woods. I still have no idea what my current standing is, but if I’m any where near Jeff, I know it has to be towards the front. I can only assume this is when Jeff started enjoying the trails, because my heart rate is now pinned at the rev limiter, with 3hrs to go I have to back off and watch the blue and white kit pull away.

Settling back into a more human pace I continue to pass riders, most were good a few needed apologizes. I still have no idea where I’m at and keep a look out for other peach number plates. Passed a few, chased down a few and got dropped by one who was thinking the same thing.

Crossing the finish line with 8 laps in 6hrs 34min I haven’t a clue I’m 1st place Cat 1 (40-49). My second podium and first win ever. To say I was quite pleased would be an understatement. Standing along side the likes of Chris G and Iggy made it even cooler.

A great event and nice way to end the mt bike race season for sure.
-chris

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job, i knew you where in front of me but did not want to blow up trying to catch you. It was nice to share the podium with you and Gozick. Congrats!

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once again you guys hosted an awesome event! I can't tell you how much I appreciated the sweet sound of the cowbell each lap! :D

I was having a great race and feeling really strong until Mother Nature threw a stick in the works in my 5th lap and my rear derailleur was mangled and torn off going over log pile. I ran out with my bike to complete the lap landing myself a 2nd place finish. For the record, running is definitely not something I enjoy doing unless being chased ;) Broken bike aside, I was really happy with how I finished and am looking forward to coming back again next year!

Thanks again for putting on a great event!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for a great race! This was my first time at CP and I will definitely be back!

Shoogz thanks for your course help, I was the one in the suburban on Friday. You guys did a great job with this race.

So nice to be racing in dirt again...

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think i want to do this next year.

Pezzy next year I'll send you my race schedule so you can hit all the fun stuff you missed this year. Although you did hit some good stuff I had to miss. Finish work on the house this winter so you're free By the end of March!

Shoogs

Thanks for a great race! This was my first time at CP and I will definitely be back!

Shoogz thanks for your course help, I was the one in the suburban on Friday. You guys did a great job with this race.

So nice to be racing in dirt again...

You're quite welcome. You guys were moving. Congrats.

Top Bottom