something cooking at Genesis Adventures (Churn N Burn)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
As we set our sites on our 2009 schedule we have been kicking around a new mountain bike race concept to replace the Churn & Burn. We'd like to get your feedback on a 3-day epic stage race similar to the large 7-day events such as the BC Bike Race or Bull of Africa.
We're thinking 40-60 miles of XC each day with tenting accomodations, showers, meals, etc. all included.

Genesis Adventures [info AT genesisadventures DOT com]

interesting....:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, something like that on the East Coast would be pretty neat-o.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
That would be cool to see where they hold it. I wonder if it would be a point to point or a single large loop (aka DH40) that is run each day.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The BC Bike Race costs a whopping $2250 per person for the 7 day race (that's more than a Hermosa tour that includes nice indoor accommodations every night!). The Cape Epic is similar. How much would folks around here be willing to pay for a 3-day fully supported race?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fair point. I won't even give a number because it will be 25% of the ultimate price at best. I find it hard to justify the 24 hour race and in this day and age that's a major bargain. NFW I drop $1000 on this and I'm sure it would be more than that.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I know, it can get friggin' expensive, but you'll be surprised how much people are willing to pay for things...look at all the "bling" some of you have on your bikes or how much you pay for shoes and gear ;)

Maybe it should be something like: http://www.pisgahproductions.com/

There is no entry fee. There will be no prizes. This race will be about glory and suffering, pain and endurance, fun and..... no fun at all.

There will be no amenities other than beer, toilets, a campfire, and a light charging station at the campground. You will need to bring EVERYTHING else you may need for the weekend.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah but you buy an XTR derailleur it lasts you for 1-2 years, maybe more. You drop $2300 on a week long bike race and you may have an amazing experience, or maybe not. It's obviously a question of what you're looking for personally and what you're willing to spend.

Genesis isn't putting anything on where there's not a profit involved.

Pokgirl

Spork
You can't put a price on the experience, which you can carry with you without any weight for as long as your memory holds out. Knowledge and experience is priceless!

Ok, seriously, it is about the journey. It starts way before race weekend with all the training. And about the challenge, the goal.

I am always amazed at how much dough people drop on equipment and race fees (and travel and hotel) for short and long triathlons! Biking is a bargain! (although the local running race is even cheaper...)

Top Bottom