Somerville Cyclery?

mooch91

Maybe not the right place for this post...

I've been out of riding for like 8 years. Bought both of my bikes at Somerville Cyclery, right on Main Street in Somerville.

Passed through the area recently and noticed they were not there. What happened to them?

Wheel Life cycles bought them. Kept it open for a few years. The closed store speaks for itself.

I just noticed a new bike shop going in at the other end of Main st next door to Martino's Cuban Restaurant. All i can read on the sign is Somerville Bicycle.

Wheel Life cycles bought them. Kept it open for a few years. The closed store speaks for itself.

What were the problems? My experiences were fairly positive; good deals on the bikes and decent service (Greg was the owner, as I recall?). Although in hindsight, I didn't get much of a fitting or a lot of "extras" on the bike I bought, but I didn't think this unusual at the time.

I rode with Greg at 6 mile about a month ago and he still has the shop in Belle Meade ... Wheel Life

I bought a couple of bikes from there in the mid and late 90's and had good experiences overall. I was also curious as to why they closed. If I recall correctly, Wheel Life had two locations on Rt. 206 and cosolidated to a single shop. Is it possible that Somerville Cyclery's closing was a part of that cosolidation?

No experience with the former shop, but I noticed a coming soon sign for a new bike shop on Main Street the other day. They had a Van Dessel hanging in the window. Anyone know any details?

Let's see if I get this correctly: Mark Barnett was the most recent owner (before consolidating operations into Wheel Life in Belle Mead). He purchased the shop from Greg Turner, who owned it for a good number of years, having bought the shop from Somerville cycling icon Fred "Pop" Kugler. I know this 'cuz I was (for years) trying to buy his shop bike (a late 50s red Schwinn Typhoon)... he refused to sell it, because it belonged to Pop...

More recently Greg T was trying to open X-Arena, an indoor motorcross track in Trenton... Not sure the project is still alive. Greg's a good guy, despite refusing to sell me the Typhoon....

Peace,
BB

if I'm not mistaken, Ken Johnson, my old trek bikes rep from when I was managing bike line of east brunswick..... quit trek. to become a partner of somerville cyclery. but that was back in around 1998-99 I think....... that was the last time I heard of Ken.... good guy

Pay

Back
Top Bottom