couple more

Andrew Short
313876923_f8r2G-XL.jpg

450 guys waiting to hit the track for qualifying
313879324_36u2f-XL.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would love to go and watch a national MX race, never got too when I was racing MX a few years back, then again i'm only 17 so i'll have plenty of time to attend one either out in PA or Unadilla. Really amazing shots, I like the one of Villopoto the best, even though i'm not really a fan of him. This guy really knows how to take photo's, really hope he comes to some XC events, hell i'd even pay him something to come do some photo's at Diablo with me!

Definetly try to get to Unadilla if you can swing it. I think its the weekend of July 20th. Watching them hit the 110' skyshot is just awesome.

I have always wanted to try downhilling, mainly because it seems like it would be similar to MX. However, (and im sure I can speak for Nate on this one too) the mx bikes are tons of work and commitment as it is. Hell I spend 1 hour driving and 1 hour working on the bike for every hour I get to ride it. Im afraid if I hit up Diablo once, im going to be hooked and looking for a DH bike the next day. Then I'll have another hobby that requires alot of commitment, surely alot of money too :D

DownhillR3

Definetly try to get to Unadilla if you can swing it. I think its the weekend of July 20th. Watching them hit the 110' skyshot is just awesome.

I have always wanted to try downhilling, mainly because it seems like it would be similar to MX. However, (and im sure I can speak for Nate on this one too) the mx bikes are tons of work and commitment as it is. Hell I spend 1 hour driving and 1 hour working on the bike for every hour I get to ride it. Im afraid if I hit up Diablo once, im going to be hooked and looking for a DH bike the next day. Then I'll have another hobby that requires alot of commitment, surely alot of money too :D

I agree, it is addicting and the maintence isn't quite as bad, but for a pedal bike, it's alot of time and as much money as MX but then again Downhill is insane... I'm HOOKED.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
incredible photos, but the border is over the top. Makes me think of the motivational photos you seen in doctors offices with a shot of a waterfall, and some deep word written underneath it.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I remember my first Hurricane Hanna Flak Jacket, it was about 43 sizes to big, but I got it anyway. I remember the day David Bailey got injured, devastating news.

Man, I always wanted a Hannah Flak Jack...I had the classic Jofa. I'm jealous :D

Of course, I also wanted the Scott plastic boots...in retrospect, 'glad I stuck to my Espirits and Highpoints...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
....Hell I spend 1 hour driving and 1 hour working on the bike for every hour I get to ride it. Im afraid if I hit up Diablo once, im going to be hooked and looking for a DH bike the next day. Then I'll have another hobby that requires alot of commitment, surely alot of money too :D

Ha! That's not *that* bad.

I raced Formula Continental w/SCCA in the late 90's. All things included...maintenance during the season, repairs, strips/rebuilds in winter, getting things ready to go to the track, travel, etc....it worked out to be about 30-35 hours, on average, for every hour I was on the track.

$1200-1500 a race weekend for everything (fees, hotel, food, gas there, tires, etc.) if I didn't break\smash anything...which was, in total, about an hours worth of track time. 'Had a few weekends where the cost of running was north of $5K. Factor in off-season rebuilds\upgrades, etc., well, it gets really stupid...all told my all-too-short racing career probably cost me $4K +/- $500 /hour when I factor in the depreciation of my car and support equipment (truck, trailer, tools, etc.) into it...

MX was an order of magnitude cheaper (even when adjusting for 20 years of inflation between my MX and FC days). Mountain biking another order of magnitude cheaper than that.

All three were/are worth every penny and hour of work, though...

My point is that as long as you can afford the time and $$, all is well if at the end of the day you can say "Yeah, that was sooooo worth it!".

Top Bottom