Some GPS ?s

T

tlnj

I had some great rides this weekend that I was psyched to post to Motionbassed, only to discover that the number of tracks exceeded MB's quota (I had around 6000 tracks per ride)

Is there any way to get around this? Should I set the data collection to "smart?"

Also, my GPS does not have barometric altimeter, so how accurate can I expect elevation data to be?

Furthermore, I have had mileage and elevation discrepencies between MB and my GPS/Garmin Training Center. Which do I trust?

MANY THANKS FROM A GPS NEWBIE!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How long were your rides? I've had 5+ hour rides posted with no issue. I've never heard of that problem so I'll defer to others there.

The elevation will be decent accuracy. For mountain biking, I find the measurements repeatable, so for better or worse it's a good way to measure parks against one another to get a feel. But it will always report high, I believe.

Turn on the MB Gravity on motionbased and then MB will be more accurate than the Garmin unit. It's under the Tune Up tab in preferences. I find that for road rides, the units are more accurate if you are in hilly terrain. So it can deal with big ups & downs better than a lot of small elevation changes. That probably goes for mountain biking as well. So if your elevation profile has few large climbs, it's probably more accurate than a lot of small ups & downs.

T

tlnj

How long were your rides? I've had 5+ hour rides posted with no issue. I've never heard of that problem so I'll defer to others there.

The elevation will be decent accuracy. For mountain biking, I find the measurements repeatable, so for better or worse it's a good way to measure parks against one another to get a feel. But it will always report high, I believe.

Turn on the MB Gravity on motionbased and then MB will be more accurate than the Garmin unit. It's under the Tune Up tab in preferences. I find that for road rides, the units are more accurate if you are in hilly terrain. So it can deal with big ups & downs better than a lot of small elevation changes. That probably goes for mountain biking as well. So if your elevation profile has few large climbs, it's probably more accurate than a lot of small ups & downs.

Thanks Norm. I think I resolved the "too much data" issue." MB will actually post the data for 1st time offenders. I set my GPS to record every second, whereas I should have it set to smart record.

Here's what they say:
Activities with 5000 trackpoints or more will be rejected if recorded at any resolution greater than 20 trackpoints per minute on average. This situation will allow for century rides and ultramarathons if Smart resolution is used.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didn't know you could change it. I assume you went and set it higher than it came "out of the box"? Then changed it back?

Good to hear you resolved the issue either way.

T

tlnj

I didn't know you could change it. I assume you went and set it higher than it came "out of the box"? Then changed it back?

Good to hear you resolved the issue either way.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I was being all smart by changing the setting. My thinking was that I would get more accurate data since the device would be picking up more data.

Top Bottom