Soccer anyone?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So am I the only one interested in soccer in this forum?:eek:

2 big international tournaments going on right now.

the U-20 World Cup in Canada & Copa America in Venezuela (the oldest soccer tournament in the world)

Both tourneys in the first stage, a lot of GOALS scored so far and pretty exciting games.

Anyway, this just gives me another excuse to drink beer every afternoon for the next 2 weeks.:D

By the way, the USA is playing on both.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Used to be my main focus...

...then these silly bikes took over.

I began playing in the late 70's during the NASL days, continued through high school and club ball in college/grad school, also started coaching high school soccer while still an undergrad. I coached high school boys for 14 years and finally gave it up after 2001 because I hated being off the bike in the fall. I quit playing league ball in 96-97 because of the bike as well.

Once I wasn't playing anymore my spectator interest dropped off severely, though I revived it last summer for the World Cup. I still enjoy watching matches but rarely make the time to do so.

I miss playing more than anything and think about playing indoor every winter, but so far it hasn't happened.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I can appreciate the athletic ability it takes to play soccer, but quite frankly it bores me to tears to watch it. I have been to several games, and did not get caught up in the wave of enthusiasm. I just don't get it. But then again, this is coming from a guy who doesn't get NASCAR either - just one big left turn...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I miss playing more than anything and think about playing indoor every winter, but so far it hasn't happened.

I hear ya,
coming from Mexico...well, I played all my life until after college, then I came to the US and found a couple of groups (of course, mostly foreigners like me) and was able to keep playing a little bit until a nasty injury sidelined me.
Stoopid me, I got injured on a Thursday but I already had a trip booked for DH @ Mt. Snow, so nothing was going to stop me. I wore an ankle brace and off I went for some DH. I could barely walk but pedaling wasn't hurting so I managed to survive the weekend, but then my ankle looked like this...
cankle.jpg

and I haven't been able to play since...my ankle will never be the same :mad2:

D

DANSPANK

Soccer's BRILLIANT!

I play in a couple of teams. I'm a goalie - Safe Hands Dan. I play in my company team and we've just come back from Germany, from our company world cup. We didn't do as well as expected, 15th out of 35. We lost to a crap team that was apparently better than us...

I don't play so much in the summer but played in an indoor league in Randolph all last winter and will take it up again in autumn.

I've already got my tickets for the August 18th Beckham game!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Soccer's BRILLIANT!

I play in a couple of teams. I'm a goalie - Safe Hands Dan. I play in my company team and we've just come back from Germany, from our company world cup. We didn't do as well as expected, 15th out of 35. We lost to a crap team that was apparently better than us...

I don't play so much in the summer but played in an indoor league in Randolph all last winter and will take it up again in autumn.

I've already got my tickets for the August 18th Beckham game!

Company World Cup?!?!?! :eek:
Are you hiring? :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know how to paint the lines on a ssoccer field, and that the term soccer is apparently derived from a shortening of Association Football, the official name for it in the uk. that's about it though. oh, and pele did the bicycle kick.

Top Bottom