So you want to try cyclocross...(updated for 2015!)

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks y'all. Feel free to add your own comments, perspectives or experiences on preparing for and taking part in your first race. I love stories.

People love to complain about cross becoming too serious, too commercial, too expensive. My hope it to lower the perception that cross is some elitist sport that's hard to get into. Really it's a participation sport in which even casual cyclists can pin a number, line up and have a legitimate race.

I would love to see participation in the sport continue to grow. One data point: Portland Cross Crusade series races routinely draw total fields of 1500 racers (and often nearly 100 in Beginner Women class alone). That's drawing from an area that has a population of only, say, 2 million people compared to the 20+ million in the greater NYC area.

soulchild

Great read Eric!

Tyler was awesome enough to lend my his cx bike while he's away at school and Pearl convinced me to go to cx practice at Otto's last night and even though I still can't run or jump (from broken leg), it was a blast! I told Pearl and Mandi afterward that this was easily the most fun I've had my first time out (first time really riding a cross bike) in any cycling discipline. I can't wait to really get out there and give it a go!

Last edited:

PatrickBrown

Just wanted to add - for anyone who is nervous about their fitness level and/or flab level before racing cross, you need to hear the story of Ernest Gagnon.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/09/162586325/instead-of-surgery-man-pedals-off-the-pounds

We saw Ernest racing in the Cs at Providence this past weekend. Talk about courage -- that guy has more of it than anyone out there.

Now, just do cross!!

I have also been following Ernest's story and it is really inspiring. It has in fact made me want to try cross as well. I think that I will take my mtb and give it a go at the HPCX event in jamesburg at the end of the month.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Is it really ok to bring your mtb to a cross race? It sounds like a blast but having bought a mtb and a road bike this year, buying another is really not possible unless its a used one. Like it has been said before, Ernest has motivated me to try my hand at racing, and cross seems like a friendly way to get started.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's completely cool to race a mtb. Just can't have any bar ends.

Racing doesn't start until Septemberish though

Robin

Is it really ok to bring your mtb to a cross race? It sounds like a blast but having bought a mtb and a road bike this year, buying another is really not possible unless its a used one. Like it has been said before, Ernest has motivated me to try my hand at racing, and cross seems like a friendly way to get started.

I tried my first 2 races on a mountain bike. I had no set goals other than to have fun. And I did. The vibe at CX races is just...awesome.

I went and bought a CX bike the following year. I have no regrets and absolutely love CX.

walter

Fourth Party

I only own one bike. It's a cyclocross bike.

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Thanks, is this during the summer or fall? I've watched some videos of NJ cross races, it looks like a good time.

MtnRider

love cycle cross.... best part is when you dismount and carry your bike over hills and obstacles.

Best part is finishing with a shit ass grin - realizing you've given it your all and then post-race Waffles!

Enjoying MTB season but can't wait for September

Top Bottom