So... what will you use your 'cross bike for?

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Commuting? Road bike? Six-mile speed machine?

Most of us here have sent decent coin on their whips - you can't let them sit in your basement all winter/spring/summer?! :D

(I'm pretending there are none of us racing anymore, so shh for those are still racing. Comment when you're done ;))

ArmyOfNone

I think I have ridden my mtb once since august/september. I am looking forward to riding that bad boy for a while. Currently I can only ride my cross bike with one leg so that kinda influences things a bit.

When the snow comes and the roads are covered, I plan to do some epic sized rides on my cross love.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

winter rides

I'll be putting the LaPierre away and hoping that next year I'll be able to ride it like it is suppossed to be ridden...fast. The fuji cross now has a 53/39 and the fenders are getting put on. Spaced on that last night and didn't ride today. Fenders are key here in the land of Lake Effect Snow. It will be the winter ride/kid carrier/commuter bike. Yesterday, before the snow it was on the mountain bike trails. Trails were fast and dry.

The season is officially over for cx. Hopefully some year I will make it to Nationals for some December racing.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
My Seven will become my road bike. Sort of. It has no water bottle bosses, or cable guide for a front derailleur for that matter. So I'll swap the tires to a smoother 'cross tire for winter road riding and possibly throw a single 50T ring on the front if the 42T on there now spins out too easily. I, like most, am excited to get back on the mountain bike and enjoy the off-season:D

-Jim.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
ill probably hit up 6 mile with it a few times, or any time i go down to allaire, that will be the bike of choice...otherwise it may sit for a while

mfennell

I'm cleaning mine up tonight and hanging it in the basement until next fall. I paid $400 for it (used) so I'll have no guilt. I really only ride it at the races anyway.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm cleaning mine up tonight and hanging it in the basement until next fall. I paid $400 for it (used) so I'll have no guilt. I really only ride it at the races anyway.

We shall have to re-match next fall. Till then i will look for you in the woods on fatter tires.

j

BiknBen

My Surly has been a fixed gear commuter, an east coast tourer, and a CX racer. By far the most versatile of all my bikes.

It is nearly time to put the road tires and fenders back on it.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
No regrets, I just need to score a road bike for the season. The Seven was purpose built so it'll just get used while I hunt down a willing donor:D

-Jim.

Hey Jim Run a Problem solvers Cable stop way down on the seat tube with full casing from the shifter and you can easily run a f.der.

qbp part # BR5456
J

BiknBen

Get lost!

I would have put the road tires on it already. I figured you will call looking to do a toe-path ride or something so I left the CX tires on. ;)

I don't have the FG rear wheel any more. Although, I know who has it and it is collecting dust. :getsome:

ArmyOfNone

Get lost!

I would have put the road tires on it already. I figured you will call looking to do a toe-path ride or something so I left the CX tires on. ;)

I don't have the FG rear wheel any more. Although, I know who has it and it is collecting dust. :getsome:

My cross bike will be down for a bit, at least till my cranks get replaced. But I will be calling!

Sounds like you need to make a call. :);):p

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Hey Jim Run a Problem solvers Cable stop way down on the seat tube with full casing from the shifter and you can easily run a f.der.

qbp part # BR5456
J

Thanks Jay, but I couldn't do that to the Seven. It'll hurt her feelings. She's gonna resist me enough trying to get her onto pavement. She may even disown me. She won't talk to me for 2 days after putting a slick on her for the trainer. I may have to leave the knobby tires on so she won't notice;)

-Jim.

BiknBen

The many forms of my Surly Cross-Check.

Fixed Gear road commuter:
05.jpg

SS with the CX studded tires and fenders:
9-Cimg2839.jpg

18 speed touring beast. That's an XTR rear der. and 34t cassette. Flattens any mountain.
Cimg6712Small.jpg

Studded CX tires and fenders. (The Cross-check has plenty of clearance)
19-GlamourSmall.jpg

1x9 cross racer (current):
CIMG4932Small-1.jpg

Last edited:

goldsbar

What I always do with my cross bike - never raced - ride it on trails that are boring on a F/S MTB but white knuckled fun on a cross bike.

Top Bottom