So what makes the bike light?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well I guess reality is subjective. But I saw him come down sideways, all aflutter, on a few roots of a tree. I mean technically the root is a part of the tree. So you know, I guess I did see him hit a tree.

wait a minute...so you were close enough behind me to hit me (nudge, bump, whatever...you HIT me damnit! :D ) but not close enough to see me smack the tree?? dude, roots would not take me down like that! i float like a butterfly!

wow norm, i think the three of us will have to do another ride so i can redeem myself...and SOON!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, interesting...

jdog has a demo Mary. 3 months and the wheel tacos.

Jake "The Butterfly" has a bike for 2 miles and the wheel tacos.

Call me a doubter, but that's not exactly a very good record for the wheel strength of the Mary 29er.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, interesting...

jdog has a demo Mary. 3 months and the wheel tacos.

Jake "The Butterfly" has a bike for 2 miles and the wheel tacos.

Call me a doubter, but that's not exactly a very good record for the wheel strength of the Mary 29er.

Jake hit a tree, at speed & he a big guy, what would you expect to happen to the wheel?
jdogs demo bike has been ridden by how many people? Many how have never ridden an ss, a 29er or a rigid bike on trails. Again what do you expect of the wheels?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jake hit a tree, at speed & he a big guy, what would you expect to happen to the wheel?
jdogs demo bike has been ridden by how many people? Many how have never ridden an ss, a 29er or a rigid bike on trails. Again what do you expect of the wheels?

Like I said before, I saw no tree. I just saw him come down sloppy, and the wheel was wasted. Very possibly not able to be saved it's that bent. From what I saw, I would have never expected that wheel to be in the shape it was in. It never crossed my mind that the bike would be unrideable. When he stopped a hundred yards later and showed me the wheel, I was shocked at how bad it was.

I have no idea how many people rode jdog's bike.

The point is this. 2 Marys, 2 tacoed wheels, both in a very short time. It makes me wonder. How can you not wonder about the durability?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
norm, i hit the tree. really. i know you didn't see it, but it happened.

j has been using the bike as a demo. think of every rental car you've ever had. we used to jump 'em in the parking lots at killington.

my point is, it's not an apples to apples comparision...unless the person riding j's mary jumped a root, landed sketchy and hit a tree too.

edit: kirt beat me to it.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
am i the only one that finds it funny that i'm defending the fact that i hit a tree?

norm, if the rear had let go, then i would say you should be skeptical. but i've never, ever in all the time i've ridden, all the punishment i've put my other bikes, done any more than slightly tweak the front rim.

again, i hit a tree. at speed. at 225lbs. i would suggest that i would have bent the sh!t outta my custom 26" rims.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like I said before, I saw no tree. I just saw him come down sloppy, and the wheel was wasted. Very possibly not able to be saved it's that bent. From what I saw, I would have never expected that wheel to be in the shape it was in. It never crossed my mind that the bike would be unrideable. When he stopped a hundred yards later and showed me the wheel, I was shocked at how bad it was.

I have no idea how many people rode jdog's bike.

The point is this. 2 Marys, 2 tacoed wheels, both in a very short time. It makes me wonder. How can you not wonder about the durability?

25 people demo'd jdogs Mary. You think they were all smooth riders? How would any bike hold up to that many different people riding the hell out of it?
He did say the bike is holding up well aside from the front wheel. Granted he is trying to sell them, but I still think he's been honest & anyone here could go check the bike/demo out for themselfs.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jake - i believe you. You were always so proud to say you blew through spokes and bent your rims JRA, why, at this poing, would you lie about hitting a tree.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
jake - i believe you. You were always so proud to say you blew through spokes and bent your rims JRA, why, at this poing, would you lie about hitting a tree.

well, i'll take that as subtle hint to drink a healthy serving of shut the f up for awhile. um...nah. :D

back from the shop, bike is a-ok. couple smacks, a few twists and bing bang boom...

[size=+2]no more evidence of hitting or not hitting a tree or roots[/size]

now if i could just get those tire marks off of my camelbak...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Excellent, great to hear.

As for the tire marks, I suggest riding behind me. That would also ensure no more debates about what happened since nobody will see whatever it is you do next. Of course, not that this will stop us from not believing you. :)

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
man, when the pack smells blood, watch out! :2guns:

norm, the point of me getting in good shape was so that i'm not riding behind everyone. THAT is not very all american. :D

but, back to topic (ironic on mtbnj, yes) but at the shop the conversation oddly drifted to bike weight. mine fuel is heavy. bomb proof (now). hopefully by spring when i'm down a bunch of pounds i'll be able to cut some LBs outta the bike too. buy a high zoot part or two. evoloution i suppose. then shaggz won't have to worry about hearing me talk about pinging spokes, taco'ing rims and everything else that i'm known for.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
sorry 'bout that shaggz. you know just as well as i that it's hard to determine who is supporting and who is throwing you under the bus sometimes.

Shaggz

A strong 7
anywaze - i figure this is more appropriate here as opposed to the "ss what and why" thread, but jake you expressed some concern about durability. Is this the wheel or the bike? Knowing your track record with parts, wheelsets in particular, I would venture to say that the end result would have been the same on almost any other stock rim in that situation.

I know that there are other 29 hoop manufacturers out there, jdog builds on salsas, there are american classics and i think that mavic is bringing them to the market. You may need to go custom, just as you did on the trek. That is more of a reflection on you as opposed to the hoop.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i considered that before i bought the bike. since john built my mavics, he seems to think the WTBs that are stock with the bike will be good. for how long, couldn't say. but, you're 100% right in that i'm pretty sure any stock rim (i would venture most rims) would have bent up.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
if a wheel gets that bent, it has alot more to do with rider error than componentry. any double walled rim of reasonable width can be built to stand up to a few months+ of front wheel service. i'm chalking it up to coincidence, and would be willing to bet that if one searched hard enough, one could find two of any rim that has been taco'd by at least two people within three months of build. wheels don't taco from riding, they taco from crashing.

Top Bottom