So what did you break this time??

djm

rough day on the hayduke. Somehow I managed to break a thru axle and bend my frame. It's tweaked pretty good. Pushed the entire chain stay out a good inch. I guess the bend is closer to the BB. Not sure its fixable So pissed:mad:

343433033_1199243590645786_7923682343352902762_n.jpg

Last edited:

JDurk

If it's steel, you have a better chance of getting it straightened than an aluminum frame. Know of any frame builders in your area? I assume you will be contacting Esker?

While I personally had a bad experience with Bilenky Cycle Works , this is something that could possibly be fixed by Stephen. My simple repair was too long due to many different "perfect storm" circumstances. If I needed to get something done like this, would run it by him and get a time frame in writing next time.

Frame alignment is on the list: https://www.bilenky.com/featured

djm

If it's steel, you have a better chance of getting it straightened than an aluminum frame. Know of any frame builders in your area? I assume you will be contacting Esker?

While I personally had a bad experience with Bilenky Cycle Works , this is something that could possibly be fixed by Stephen. My simple repair was too long due to many different "perfect storm" circumstances. If I needed to get something done like this, would run it by him and get a time frame in writing next time.

Frame alignment is on the list: https://www.bilenky.com/featured
Appreciate the advice, and the referral. Alignment for $100 seems reasonable. I do have a call into Esker. Hopefully they give me the green light to repair the frame.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
rough day on the hayduke. Somehow I managed to break a thru axle and bend my frame. It's tweaked pretty good. Pushed the entire non drive side chain stay out a good inch. I guess the bend is closer to the BB. Not sure its fixable So pissed:mad:

343433033_1199243590645786_7923682343352902762_n.jpg
Wow, that's gnarly. Hope they can work it out for you.

Reactions: djm

serviceguy

View attachment 210618

More epic carbon ripping. And solidifying my belief that two is one and one is none. Ti hardtail and full suspension on the radar. Fuck it.. spend money
Wow, is that a BB? How is it even possible to shear crack the BB alloy insert?!?!! I had that happen to me but it was on a crank at the spindle interface, so it would make sense…you know, SS and massive wattage…LOL

Mr.Moto

I was wondering the same. @Mr.Moto which part is designed to break on impact ? I used to crash a lot and only broke 1 WT lever, but it was the little I-spec-b barrel adapter because I overtightened it causing it to break at the threaded cross drilled hole.
Plastic disc. Can buy them on their website. Have an extra if you need it.

IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
As I was lubing my chain I noticed this. I was paying close attention because it was shifting funny and was looking for anything that looks unusual. While replacing the chain I decided to double check that I have the correct length rather than just blindly size the new chain to the old one and discovered it was a bit too short. After the replacement the shifting issue was gone. Amazing.
20230603_103641.jpg

Kaleidopete

As I was lubing my chain I noticed this. I was paying close attention because it was shifting funny and was looking for anything that looks unusual. While replacing the chain I decided to double check that I have the correct length rather than just blindly size the new chain to the old one and discovered it was a bit too short. After the replacement the shifting issue was gone. Amazing.
View attachment 214877
where do you find "the correct length" ?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
where do you find "the correct length" ?
The "rule of thumb" method. For this bike (hardtail) you wrap the chain around the chain ring and the largest cog on the cassette (1st gear) bypassing the entire derailleur. Find the point where the tip of the chain meets the other end and add 4 links (2 outer and 2 inner) plus the master link. If it's full suspension then you add 6 links plus the master link.

Kaleidopete

The "rule of thumb" method. For this bike (hardtail) you wrap the chain around the chain ring and the largest cog on the cassette (1st gear) bypassing the entire derailleur. Find the point where the tip of the chain meets the other end and add 4 links (2 outer and 2 inner) plus the master link. If it's full suspension then you add 6 links plus the master link.
thanks, I didn't know that

iman29

Halfway through my nice solo road ride Sunday morning my rear shifting stooped working and I immediately knew it was again due to the cable getting shredded by the shifter. I usually have some kind of warnings like ghost shifting but this time it just stopped. Lucky for me it was right after I stopped to take a food and picture break otherwise I would have been totally F’d after bombing down rockaway road.

I was close enough to the new Marty’s HB shop and made it there just as they opened and they fixed it for me on the spot and saved my ride and the call of shame.

I had plans to upgrade this bike to di2 but other stuff keeps coming up along the way that killed that dream like when I cracked my wheel last summer. Maybe just try to find some decent used DA mechanical
shifters instead. Oh well.

74AA22DA-91FB-4373-9F46-B4FBA757F234.jpeg
61175765-F38E-463C-B343-834C42FEBC4E.jpeg

iman29

I know there's at least one generation of Shimano levers that's notorious for that. Assuming yours fall into that group?
Correct. Started happening within the first year I had the bike (Aug 2016) and shimano refused to warranty it despite all the known comments. Ive been pretty good at checking on it myself but this time it came up without warning. i would say this has come up like 10-15 times since i owned the bike depending on how many miles i am riding.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Correct. Started happening within the first year I had the bike (Aug 2016) and shimano refused to warranty it despite all the known comments. Ive been pretty good at checking on it myself but this time it came up without warning. i would say this has come up like 10-15 times since i owned the bike depending on how many miles i am riding.
Yes, I had one recent too on 105, but caught it just in time. the "fix" is simple, just change teh cable every 6 months. Well worth the $10.

Bikeworks

Halfway through my nice solo road ride Sunday morning my rear shifting stooped working and I immediately knew it was again due to the cable getting shredded by the shifter. I usually have some kind of warnings like ghost shifting but this time it just stopped. Lucky for me it was right after I stopped to take a food and picture break otherwise I would have been totally F’d after bombing down rockaway road.

I was close enough to the new Marty’s HB shop and made it there just as they opened and they fixed it for me on the spot and saved my ride and the call of shame.

I had plans to upgrade this bike to di2 but other stuff keeps coming up along the way that killed that dream like when I cracked my wheel last summer. Maybe just try to find some decent used DA mechanical
shifters instead. Oh well.

View attachment 215018View attachment 215019
I'm on mechanical DA 9120 presently, have fortunately avoided this issue thus far. But I'm of the same mindset as you, will upgrade to Di2 as soon as life stops getting in the way of my plans lol.

BuzzBomber

Tonight’s score-
IMG_3386.jpeg
IMG_3389.jpeg

Random stick on easy trail I never noticed until it skidded me to a stop: 3
Derailleur and rear wheel spokes: 0

At least I was able to limp back to the trailhead after bending the busted spokes out of harms way and judiciously “adjusting” the trashed derailleur. Yeas, I know the rims dented too. That’s old news…

iman29

Well this shifter cable issue seems to be contagious I guess I have to keep my road bike further away from my gravel bike.

I was all set to ride zwift today and slept in then saw a break in the weather and decided with the wet roads and more rain possible to just go on the Columbia trail for a gravel ride. Bike needed a wash anyway it was already dirty.

Right around 10 miles out from my house I went to downshift to cross the road and my rear shifter cable snapped. Spent 5 minutes deciding again if I want to try to make it the 6 miles to the Marty’s Highbridge shop or turn around and SS the whole way back. Since I was a sweaty muddy mess and I HATE the new surface on the CT further west I went home. Got the bike washed and myself cleaned up and made it out to the shop
so they could change the cable.
I guess it’s better than happening at the bottom of a climb but this is getting so irritating.

E6FE4085-DC49-4A42-AFB1-8346AB15B5D5.jpeg

JDurk

Well this shifter cable issue seems to be contagious I guess I have to keep my road bike further away from my gravel bike.

I was all set to ride zwift today and slept in then saw a break in the weather and decided with the wet roads and more rain possible to just go on the Columbia trail for a gravel ride. Bike needed a wash anyway it was already dirty.

Right around 10 miles out from my house I went to downshift to cross the road and my rear shifter cable snapped. Spent 5 minutes deciding again if I want to try to make it the 6 miles to the Marty’s Highbridge shop or turn around and SS the whole way back. Since I was a sweaty muddy mess and I HATE the new surface on the CT further west I went home. Got the bike washed and myself cleaned up and made it out to the shop
so they could change the cable.
I guess it’s better than happening at the bottom of a climb but this is getting so irritating.

View attachment 216484
SS is always the answer

Top Bottom