So, how's the NCAA Tourney treatin' you?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Huskies once again helping to decimate the bracket scene, one and done. Again.

There's still 192 brackets still alive this year though, let's check back tomorrow.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
This is huge, for sure. Good stuff.

Funny how Rutgers getting into the tournament garnered a lot more attention than St. Peter's, before the games began.
That didn't surprise me, though. St. Peter's got in on a conference tourney win. Rutgers, which is a much bigger school anyway, was a bubble team with quality wins against tough competition who could have easily been a straight at-large bid instead of a play-in. They were playing for a higher seed, too, so if the state coverage was going to hitch their wagon to someone, it made more sense to do it with Rutgers. I think RU scared teams before the took the floor. I think all St. Peter's did was shock the world. And I'm fine with that! Either way, St. Peter's is getting more press today alone than it probably had in the rest of its 150 year history combined, and maybe - just maybe - next time I tell someone where I went to college their first response won't be, "I've never heard of it."

The Kalmyk

Ftr- St. Peter’s has one of lowest D1 budgets in the country. And that’s just another reason why ,college basketball > NBA... all day

Last edited:

1speed

So I realized last Saturday (as the Peacocks were grinding out a Seet Sixteen birth for the first time in school history) that their next game was right in my backyard, so I picked up a ticket. Tomorrow, I'm going to the Sweet Sixteen in Philly to root for my own school. I didn't go to a powerhouse hoops school for college and before this year if you offered me even longest odds on St. Peter's playing beyond round 1 of the tourney even once in my life, I'd have politely declined. It just wasn't going to happen. But here we are. I wish these guys every ounce of success they can squeeze from this - I won't even begrudge Coach Holloway his next step when he leaves for Seton Hall's open spot next season. He's on a trajectory to be a seven figure coach, and I wish him the best. I was on a call at work the other day where folks were making small talk about the tourney and someone asked me if I was following it. I just said, "Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far." I could have mentioned that my own school was still in it, but no one asked so I didn't offer. Before this month, if I ever mentioned where I went to undergrad, the only question I ever got was "Where is that?" I think it might be a few years before I ever get that question again from anyone who follows basketball.

Go Peacocks!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So I realized last Saturday (as the Peacocks were grinding out a Seet Sixteen birth for the first time in school history) that their next game was right in my backyard, so I picked up a ticket. Tomorrow, I'm going to the Sweet Sixteen in Philly to root for my own school. I didn't go to a powerhouse hoops school for college and before this year if you offered me even longest odds on St. Peter's playing beyond round 1 of the tourney even once in my life, I'd have politely declined. It just wasn't going to happen. But here we are. I wish these guys every ounce of success they can squeeze from this - I won't even begrudge Coach Holloway his next step when he leaves for Seton Hall's open spot next season. He's on a trajectory to be a seven figure coach, and I wish him the best. I was on a call at work the other day where folks were making small talk about the tourney and someone asked me if I was following it. I just said, "Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far." I could have mentioned that my own school was still in it, but no one asked so I didn't offer. Before this month, if I ever mentioned where I went to undergrad, the only question I ever got was "Where is that?" I think it might be a few years before I ever get that question again from anyone who follows basketball.

Go Peacocks!

We attended the 16/8 weekend back in 2018 in boston. One of the best sporting events i've ever attended.
The energy in the building is on 10, the athletes giving everything they have. We were tempted to go this weekend but are already triple booked.

Let's Go..

Since my bracket leaves me with no other interest after last night.

1speed

That was so cool. I went to the pre-game party at the Victory Brewing at Xfinity and it was packed, then at the arena I was sitting in an area that was about half St. Peter's and half a mix of UNC and UCLA fans. But from the start, it seemed like 95% of the arena was rooting for us. I don't know why Purdue kept Edey out for so much of the second half - he was killing us with his size and - but I'm not complaining.

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

1speed

That was fun while it lasted, but UNC definitely came to that game with a plan for how to beat us. They were just simply better in all the ways that mattered. And they knew exactly what they wanted to do from the tip off. I don't know if the previous teams just didn't know enough about us to have a plan for how to beat us, but UNC clearly watched what we did earlier in the tourney and were ready for it. Edert couldn't get an open look all night, UNC's movement off the ball had them perfectly positioned to break every trap, and they seamlessly switched inside and outside on us every time we tried to adjust our defense. Plus, Bacot almost never put the ball on the floor, which is exactly how to avoid problems with a smaller teams that lives and dies by its defense.

What an incredible run, though! On paper we don't lose too many guys next year, so maybe we're back for another run in '23. That said, I think we could lose Coach Holloway to Seton Hall, and I can't blame him for that. Ndefo is the only senior, but we might see Rupert and possibly Jalen Murray follow Holloway out since they're freshmen he recruited. But the rest of the starting five and Edert are all coming back. So this is going to be a very good team next year if the core stays together.

Top Bottom