Snowdog?

Skunkape

Torture looking at a primo extended forecast and having all the trails locked away under too much snow. Is there sufficient interest and/or any chance of securing the necessary permissions to run a snowdog or similar groomer on trails at wayway?

Also interested to hear of previous attempts, motorized or otherwise to pack out some rideable trail. I have made various attempts over the years to get a loop around the house using snowshoes with varying success on my 4.8 inch tires

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you have a snowdog? I didn’t know about them till someone else just posted about it in a different thread, now I’m intrigued...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
all about the science.

Trail Tenderizer FTW! - i just like the name.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Unless a mtn biker is willing to buy one, i think you'd probably do just as well paying a north NJ hill person with an existing snowmobile to drag some kind of weighted homemade sled through the trails.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless a mtn biker is willing to buy one, i think you'd probably do just as well paying a north NJ hill person with an existing snowmobile to drag some kind of weighted homemade sled through the trails.
Yeah but wouldn’t snowmobile in a state park be a big no no?

they had that 2wd mini bike tractor thing that pulled a sled around Dickerson Mine at one point but DMine isn’t technically a park...

Skunkape

Do you have a snowdog? I didn’t know about them till someone else just posted about it in a different thread, now I’m intrigued...
I don’t, but after watching a few YouTube vids I’m feeling the itch. You could run one on most of the trails here and I believe snowmobiles are allowed which this would seem to be. Of course, buying one ensures another 7 snowless winters.

Patrick

Staff member
So i'm still thinking about @jimvreeland's crate set-up.
now i'm thinking a v-plow in front, a slight ramp, to a weighted cylinder that can roll.

ability to set the height of the tow line on the front of the V.
push some snow to the sides, compact the rest?

rick81721

Lothar
now i'm thinking a v-plow in front, a slight ramp, to a weighted cylinder that can roll.

tenor (4).gif

So fatbikes really can't ride in snow??

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

What is towing said sled tho? Raw Alaskan thunder thigh man power? Sled dogs? Mini horse?

Patrick

Staff member
I guess the real question then is if some enterprising/bored individual set about snowdoggin the park would anyone object?

What trails would be candidates for a snowmobile?
more than just a fire road loop (although that is a great start) ?

Getting a snowmobile stuck in with trees or rolled is a bit of a disaster.

Skunkape

What trails would be candidates for a snowmobile?
more than just a fire road loop (although that is a great start) ?

Getting a snowmobile stuck in with trees or rolled is a bit of a disaster.
Watch some videos. These things fit anywhere a mtb will and just chug through anything. Agree that fun trails preclude snowmobiling.

iman29

Yeah but wouldn’t snowmobile in a state park be a big no no?

they had that 2wd mini bike tractor thing that pulled a sled around Dickerson Mine at one point but DMine isn’t technically a park...

Pretty sure the Rokon bike that @Jason used to have is long gone.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions