snowboarding

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Thanks, Jason

I started off with my right foot back and then switched to left foot forward? They did some weird crap with the bindings before my friend adjusted them also. I don't even really remember I was beat up so much. I wanted to go back for another day but my hips were done. I could barely walk two days later.

Most of the workout is bending over to strap those things in. I need to work on my core.

I found this thing behind my couch. So I guess that's one piece of gear... The boards, binding, boots, etc. all go for like half price off or more around Labor Day. If I do the Point 2 Point this year I'm gonna def checkout one of the 3 shops that are across the street from each other lol

View attachment 85219View attachment 85219
I’d look closely at the burton step ON system

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
wasn't that that an epic fail?

i have their 1st gen system - i still ride it, but never where there is deep snow.
The experience is so easy gliding off the lift, clicking in, and going. at the intermediate level,
there isn't going to be a huge performance hit.

that being said, after some stretching, i can strap in while gliding - it is all about how much
snow is getting caked in there when out of the binding.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Good tips from @jdog and @fidodie. I would add one more. When learning, remember to “steer with with your rear” (foot). When you are attempting to turn, shift your weight slightly forward (downhill). This lightens the rear and better enables you to whip the tail around so you can cross the slope. Most beginners tend to weight the rear by leaning back (uphill) out of fear of going downhill too fast but when they do that it makes it difficult to turn the board. Good luck and keep it up!

SCOTTscale

Good tips from @jdog and @fidodie. I would add one more. When learning, remember to “steer with with your rear” (foot). When you are attempting to turn, shift your weight slightly forward (downhill). This lightens the rear and better enables you to whip the tail around so you can cross the slope. Most beginners tend to weight the rear by leaning back (uphill) out of fear of going downhill too fast but when they do that it makes it difficult to turn the board. Good luck and keep it up!
My fear of going too fast is what gets me the worst. You've got that right for sure!

I'll look into the step on. I searched around and apparently theyre trying again. Maybe new technology will make it better...

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
My fear of going too fast is what gets me the worst. You've got that right for sure!

I'll look into the step on. I searched around and apparently theyre trying again. Maybe new technology will make it better...

I have an old set of the Burton step-ins sitting in the attic if anyone is interested. Bindings are good but 1 boot cracked at the plastic step-in interface after a hard fall i took. Would probably still work for a beginner not pushing them too hard though - Size 9. I liked the step-ins but by the time i cracked that boot, Burton wasn't making them anymore so i went with K2 Cinch bindings which i'm still rocking today on my late 90s Morrow board.

20190114_214059.jpg

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG

This is one of my setups. Bomber Step In bindings with Deeluxe snowboard hardboots. Easy in, easy out. Super support for my legs. Great edge hold on firm snow with minimal effort. Adjustable flex for powder and soft conditions. Not something I’d recommend when starting out (and they are tricky when walking) but something to consider down the road if the bug bites you hard enough! A few years ago I tried going back to softboots and didn’t last more than two runs. :p
2F94C306-5737-4B33-B055-084A4D06A40F.jpeg
52486A5F-4378-43DB-A2BC-FF8DB13521A7.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is one of my setups. Bomber Step In bindings with Deeluxe snowboard hardboots. Easy in, easy out. Super support for my legs. Great edge hold on firm snow with minimal effort. Adjustable flex for powder and soft conditions. Not something I’d recommend when starting out (and they are tricky when walking) but something to consider down the road if the bug bites you hard enough! A few years ago I tried going back to softboots and didn’t last more than two runs. :p
View attachment 85474
View attachment 85475

stay on topic please ;)

Fat Trout

I have an old set of the Burton step-ins sitting in the attic if anyone is interested. Bindings are good but 1 boot cracked at the plastic step-in interface after a hard fall i took. Would probably still work for a beginner not pushing them too hard though - Size 9. I liked the step-ins but by the time i cracked that boot, Burton wasn't making them anymore so i went with K2 Cinch bindings which i'm still rocking today on my late 90s Morrow board.

View attachment 85467
I have similar boots and bindings. My lead foot has the same crack. I use a home depot ratchet strap throught the binding and over the boot and have done so for the last 4 seasons.......because I'm cheap lol.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought my apartment for $135k. Prospector. Great place.
Thats funny...My step brother used to manage that place. In HS I used to work there as a bellman/airport pickup driver/conference setup/security....Does it still have the movie theater?

It's not cheap here but Brighton twilight pass from 4-9 + gear rental cost me $89. Dirt cheap lift tickets compared to DV (no snowboarding), PCM, and Canyons. Unfortunately I had to drive almost an hour around the mountain to get there. But it was worth it.
$89 is like free compared to Mt Creek at $72...please. :) PCM is a little absurd now on the price scale....im not a fan of how they combined it with the canyons.

I wish you the best of luck with the snowboarding....certainly not an easy thing to learn how to do as an adult.

SCOTTscale

Thanks for the tips guys!

I will look at the clip in... for sure. Or maybe I should just do some sit-ups.

They do have the movie theater and they use it for Sundance still. I think having the rail trail 2 minute walk from my front door and the ability to ride to Round Valley in 10 minutes is just amazing. The Freemason Trail is right there also so I could jump onto Lost Prospector and make my way up to Deer Valley. I really enjoyed the Mid Mountain trail as well. It's amazing how you can ride through three different ski mountains and the olympic park + round valley if you do it the right way.

SCOTTscale

Yeah it's been a pretty rough winter out there. Park City got heavy wet snow which is very unusual. The higher up resorts got hit hard

Top Bottom