Snowboarding 101?

smurfjoe

I'm going to try snowboarding this season for the first time ever. A lot of my friends snowboard; I figure if I oblige them with my snowboarding presence, they'll finally give in to my invites to go mountain biking.

I'm actually pretty excited and anxious to start, but like every new activity, one must do their research before jumping in.

I know a bunch of people here are avid snowboarders and if the amount of passion you all put into mountain biking rings true with snowboarding, I think this is a great place to start looking for guidance.
  1. What are good snowboarding information source websites?
  2. Are snowboard dealers as helpful and wise as LBS's?
  3. If so, where are the recommended spots to buy your gear?
  4. What gear must a noob have to be ready for day one?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
first off, don't buy a new board. rent first to see if it's even something you may want to continue doing. if you do like it, look for a used board that's decent shape. next season look for a new board, hopefully a leftover. they're usually marked down 40%ish.

i don't know any good sites off hand but i'm sure a quick google search (or a jdog chime in) will get you what you want.

i have no clue what's around manville but i'm sure someone local will chime in.

noonito

first off, don't buy a new board. rent first to see if it's even something you may want to continue doing.

I agree.

Many ski areas have a package deal of rentals + lesson + limited lift ticket for first timers. Unless your friends are incredibly patient and good teachers, DO NOT have your friends try to teach you. Get a lesson with an instructor; you'll be much less frustrated. Also, pick the day you go with some care: weekends are usually crowded; falling on your butt all day is easier to handle if it is sunny rather than cold and sleeting.

For day one, you should have:
  • waterproof pants
  • waterproof jacket
  • warm layers like long underwear, fleece, etc.
  • hat
  • waterproof gloves
  • thin socks
  • sunglasses

This stuff is helpful but not necessary:
  • helmet
  • goggles
  • wicking undergarments like coolmax

Whatever you do, don't wear jeans and the jacket of your favorite baseball team.

Robin

Invest in wrist guards...they may be a little awkward, but the #1 injury in snowboarding is broken wrists...followed by broken bum.

Adrian

Invest in wrist guards...they may be a little awkward, but the #1 injury in snowboarding is broken wrists

+1 on that. I use gloves with integrated wrist guards. Also look into a helmet. When you are beginner you're going to fall and expect the possibility of other beginners to crash into you, especially on a crowded mountain.

I had decent lessons at both Camelback and Hunter but wasn't to fond of my one and only experience at Mountain Creek.

Here is a list of online snowboarding stores someone forwarded me with descriptions. I've never shopped from any of them so I can't give any info experience-wise.

- http://www.shreddingbetty.com - Owned and operated by two of the most wonderful ladies on snow that I know

- http://www.sierrasnowboard.com - Sacramento based online store with great deals, daily giveaways, price match guarantees, incredibly informative message board, and a great sales team.

- http://www.dogfunk.com/ - Another one of the top dogs in e-sales (no pun intended...okay a little bit of a pun intended). Offers a large selection of audiences at good prices.

- http://www.evogear.com - Seattle based e-store that has been a favorite of mine for some time. Great deals with a solid selection that caters to all of your snow needs. Currently offering an additional 20% off on outlet items for a limited time.

- http://www.the-house.com/ - Another massive e-store with a ton to shop through...boasting the largest selection of snowboarding apparel, it's a site that more than likely you could waste a few days browsing through.

THATmanMANNY

Invest in a helmet! Wearing a helmet has saved me a couple of times from some really bad hits. I blacked out once and woke up not knowing where I was, how I got there, or who I was with... all while wearing a helmet. GET ONE! Safety and it keep your head warm too.

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Invest in wrist guards...they may be a little awkward, but the #1 injury in snowboarding is broken wrists...followed by broken bum.

I wish I had these when I started. I almost gave up on winter fun after a broken wrist my first time snowboarding discouraged me. I did take up skiing instead and will use ski boards when I go out and play with my snowboarding friends.

I'd say get a lesson and ask them to teach you how to fall without breaking stuff. My second time out I did this and it was money well spent :)

jdgang

+ whatever on the wrist guards....as well as the renting instead of buying the first couple of times and picking up last years equipment at a discount instead of this years...when you are ready to buy, I consider the boots the most important part of the equipment...whether you spend 10$ or 1000$ make sure that your boots fit you properly...and throw out whatever footbed comes with it and get a custom one. Here is the site that I post on.

http://easyloungin.com

Glenlivet12

When I first started out I rented gear from Ski Barn, they had a deal going where you get to rent a brand new set up that you can use for the season. If you find out you really like it you forfeit your security deposit and the stuff is yours. It ended up being way cheaper than if I bought each peice individualy. You don't get great equipment but for a starter its fine. I've been using it for about five years now and for my needs its worked out great. I don't know if they still have promotions like that going on but its worth a try.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If you really want to learn than the best bet is to commit to 3 consecutive days on the hill.

3 days is usually what it takes. 3 really tough days.

After that you will get it.

My GF was learning last year and after 2 days she didn't think she would ever get it. On the 3rd day it clicked.

I also very much recommend that these 3 days are weekdays. It is cheaper and you won't get stuck in big crowds.

Better yet, fly out west and learn on soft, natural snow.

and yes.. get the protective gear. Ass pads are a good idea.

http://www.dogfunk.com/snowboard/Pro-tec-IPS-Hip-Pads-Mens/PRO0042M.html

http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/snow-helmets/seam/#/matte-black/

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...l?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=BUR2882&mv_pc=r126

Buy some good boots that are not too stiff.

This is what I like:

http://thirtytwo.com/boots/fall-2009/mens/focus-boa-3/green-black/

and I disagree about renting. I personally think that owning your gear will solidify your commitment to learning. You will also save time on the hill each day. Not to mention that you won't be riding complete crap.

Here is a good starter board.

http://www.burton.com/mens-all-moun...=157&start=2&cgid=mens-boards&srule=price-asc

You might score a used one on Ebay for 1/2 price or less.

Good luck.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
let me clarify the renting thing since jay brings up a good point. first off, DO NOT rent at the mountain. it's a complete cluster F and their equipment is usually terrible. i've seen rental boards with nose guards on them. freaking skateboard nose guards!

go to a shop and do a three or four day rental. or a week. whatever. but have the stuff with you every day and commit to learning. if you have a few hundred bucks sitting by the door, you'll be a lot more inclinded to go and fall all over the hill.

and yes, absolutely a helmet. i can't even tell you how many times mine has saved my ass. i started wearing one about...oh...12 years ago i guess. at that point no one was wearing them but i wasn't about to bash my melon on the "snow" at vernon valley again. of course i need a new one now b/c my boeri has seen better days, but anyway.

this will actually be my 20th year on a board. take advantage of all the new protective stuff b/c it will make your life a hell of a lot easier when you start learning.

and yes, wrist guards. god do i wish they were around when i started.

Engignar

How tall are you? I have an old board (158 cm) that you would be welcome to use for a few days, or even the season if you want. Unfortunately I gave the bindings away, but it would get you started if you could find some bindings.

Adrian

I would suggest knee pads when first learning. It gave me extra confidence with learning toe side turns. I used a pair of rollerblading knee pads under my pants.

jdgang

let me clarify the renting thing since jay brings up a good point. first off, DO NOT rent at the mountain. it's a complete cluster F and their equipment is usually terrible. i've seen rental boards with nose guards on them. freaking skateboard nose guards!

go to a shop and do a three or four day rental. or a week. whatever. but have the stuff with you every day and commit to learning. if you have a few hundred bucks sitting by the door, you'll be a lot more inclinded to go and fall all over the hill.

and yes, absolutely a helmet. i can't even tell you how many times mine has saved my ass. i started wearing one about...oh...12 years ago i guess. at that point no one was wearing them but i wasn't about to bash my melon on the "snow" at vernon valley again. of course i need a new one now b/c my boeri has seen better days, but anyway.

this will actually be my 20th year on a board. take advantage of all the new protective stuff b/c it will make your life a hell of a lot easier when you start learning.

and yes, wrist guards. god do i wish they were around when i started.

agree go to a shop and rent from there not on the mountain...and wear a helmet...

Mr.Moto

If you really want to learn than the best bet is to commit to 3 consecutive days on the hill.

jdog is spot on about the three days. Everyone else has provided great information as well. I started snowboarding many years ago and instructed for a season. The thing that I always recommend is that you stick with it for three days. It takes about that long for many people to get the idea of connecting turns, staying on the right edge, balance and proper shifting of weight.

I always recommend lessons during the first few times followed by practice. Work on it for about 1/2 a day each time and then go skis for the second half unless you are really picking it up quickly. Many people are usually tired, sore, or frustrated after a few of hours. Take a break from it. Don't try to get it all down in the first day.

By the third day it usually "clicks" and from there the learning curve is much, much faster.

Good luck.

smurfjoe

Thanks everyone for the incredible information. Now I can't wait for my first trip out.

I'll return to this thread after my 3 day adventure within the next couple months and report my feelings on the spot.

Please, feel free to post any other wisdom that I could use.

smurfjoe

How tall are you? I have an old board (158 cm) that you would be welcome to use for a few days, or even the season if you want. Unfortunately I gave the bindings away, but it would get you started if you could find some bindings.

I'm 5'6". How does one find the proper sizing for a board?

And as far as boots go, I read that your toes should just barely touch the front wall of the boot, as opposed to crunching your toes against the front wall or not touching it all. Does that sound right?

Engignar

You are too short for the board I mentioned. A general rule of thumb is that the board should go up to the bottom of your chin. Longer boards are a bit more stable and shorter ones rotate more easily.

The key thing with boots is that your heels and toes don't stick too far over the edges of the board, or else when you are carving hard you can catch your boot on the snow and bad things happen. At a size 9 to 9.5 I would not be concerned about it. People with really large feet need to look for wider boards to prevent the problem, and boards made for powder conditions are usually wider to help them float more. As to the boots touching your toes...do you buy shoes where your toes touch? I don't, all I can say to that is wear a good pair of ski/ snowboard socks when trying the boots on and see how the feel. They should hold your heel down snugly while still not feeling overly tight or constrictive in the toe and forefoot area. If they don't you end up tightening the laces like crazy, which will lead to low circulation in the feet and eventually numb toes.

Top Bottom