snow tire check in thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure that's 100% true. Many winter tires are really just designed to remain flexible in cold temperatures, basically to work similar to a summer tire in the temp ranges of a summer tire that turns into a rock in the winter. Look at something like the Micehlin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, etc. These are performance snow tires. They're mostly made for the reasons above. They may get you through light stuff, but they're not a snow-slaying tire. Even the Xice 3 which I have has higher speed ratings than something like a Blizzak, a true snow tire. For our area where the snow is plowed constantly, the Xice and similar is what I would go with. Unless you live in Vermont, a Blizzak or other true, deep tread snow tire is overkill.

for true snow tires it is definitely true (per one of Michelin's own engineers) the tires that 'get you through the lite stuff' are classified as all seasons (per the same person, this may be an internal classification, not a marketing one, im really not sure) with some varying degree of snow rating. If you ran one of those tires in the summer the only negative impact would be wearing them out faster (you also give up the high performance grip that a dedicated summer tire gives you).

My wife drives a genesis coupe (hyundais so called performance coupe) all year round with a set of standard all season tires on it with no problems for the last 7 years.

I would never recommend driving a summer tire through the winter for exactly the reasons you stated above, but then id also tell 90% of people to buy the less expensive all season tires for their cars since they dont get driven beyond the limits of that tire so they dont need the extra grip offered by a performance tire. . . .

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wife drives a genesis coupe
2.0T or 3.8? I leased a 2.0T around May 2010 or so. I didn't really know anything about them and wasn't planning on a new car, but the dealer I casually strolled into offered it up at $210 a month and I signed before they could change their mind. It was fun to slide around tight roads. It also sucked going up hills in winter on all-seasons.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
2.0T or 3.8? I leased a 2.0T around May 2010 or so. I didn't really know anything about them and wasn't planning on a new car, but the dealer I casually strolled into offered it up at $210 a month and I signed before they could change their mind. It was fun to slide around tight roads. It also sucked going up hills in winter on all-seasons.

2.0t, its kinda underpowered IMO (especially for what they advertise it as), iv driven a 3.8 6 speed car too and was underwhelmed by the driving experience, nice interior, drives well as a cruiser/dd type car tho (which is exactly what she uses it for).

o she works in wayne and gets up hills fine :shrug: but then i put a good set of all seasons on the car before she got this job (instead of the crap bridgestones that hyundai sold it with)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
2.0t, its kinda underpowered IMO (especially for what they advertise it as), iv driven a 3.8 6 speed car too and was underwhelmed by the driving experience, nice interior, drives well as a cruiser/dd type car tho (which is exactly what she uses it for).

o she works in wayne and gets up hills fine :shrug: but then i put a good set of all seasons on the car before she got this job (instead of the crap bridgestones that hyundai sold it with)
Yes, the Bridgestones were shit. The cheapo Champiros I put on it were way worse. The 3.8 was shit. Completely bland driving experience. The 2.0T was much more fun, but yes, severely underpowered at 210-ish I think? I did the wastegate mod for a few extra psi. It's still cool they had a cheap, sporty RWD turbo car. I'm still waiting for a Nissan s-chassis revival.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
she has a 2013, i think its more like 270ish if you put premium gas in it, but still, not enough power for that big of a car (its nearly as big as my challenger :O)

rick81721

Lothar
Speaking of snow tires - trying to sell a one season used set of 4 from my son's old car on letgo - no takers. Anyone interested in a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 255/55 R18s? Pennies on the dollar!

Last chance before these contaminate the environment for hundreds of years - save the planet!

PS I posted wrong - they are 225/55 R18s

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
just put snow tires on our cars, GTI and Q7, over the last two days. nice to check that off the list...especially given the regular tires on the Audi were WORN.

Top Bottom